• Register Today It's free!

1995 xlt Speedo Recalibration

dustinjorge

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT 4x4
What are my options for re-calibrating the speedometer on a 1995 4wd xlt?

Sorry if this has been covered, I've been searching and searching and can't find a definitive answer on this board for my particular ******* Ex. Can the dealer reconfig the truck for my new tires?

I want accurate speedometer and shift points, had planned on using truspeed but it seems I got a faulty unit and I'm not too keen on going round 2 with another truspeed module.

My truspeed debacle is outlined here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267250

I know my truck is ODB1 and not ODBII because my scanner won't connect to the ODBII port under the dash... I use the ODB1 hookups under the hood. I recently contacted James with hansenperformance so I'm waiting to hear back from him on what my options are as far as tuning goes.

I only put 31s on the truck but speedo was off a bit anyway so now I'm off like 13-14% (8mph at 60) based on GPS tests (both on my phone and nav unit)

Please chime in if you have any experience/advice for me RE speedo calibration and/or tuning. Ideally i'd like to get the vss pulse to be adjusted so it affects all the systems that rely on vss, but I'd probably settle for speedo recalibration and tune for shift points etc if I had to.

Next on the list is TT, camber kits, and procomp shorty's that I already have ready to go. Note that I plan on getting hooked up with an SCT in the next month or so, so that's already on the list of things to do.

Any advice for me? thanks in advance.

I don't think a tuner will work with your year?

The VSS is in the transfer case, you need to get a different gear for it. There is a thread somewhere with the equation for figuring how many gear teeth you need and part numbers for them.

So just to verify even though i don't have a cable on my vss i can still swap gears?

Back