Recommend a good replacement fuel pump please! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recommend a good replacement fuel pump please!

993usmc

Reaction score
City, State
NoVA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Explorer w/192K
:usa:

Hi all,
Great forum, and testament to our explorers that I have not had to come back here for a while. My 2002 V-6 XLT Explorer has developed an issue at 192K miles. It left my wife stranded for a bit and was inconveniencing, to say the least.

Here are the steps I did to diagnose the problem of the no-start

-Engine turns over fine (battery strong)
-All proper fuel system fuses are intact
-Fuel pump reset switch in proper position
-Engine is getting spark and air
-No CEL codes
-Checked fuel pressure at the relief valve on the fuel rail= zero
-dropped fuel filter (PIA!), metal shavings inside.
-Attempted to turn over, no fuel delivered toward the fuel filter

So my next guess is the fuel pump, unless you all think I missed something?
The Motorcraft part seems to run about double the price of the aftermarket ones. Is there a good OEM-type replacement pump that you would suggest for my early '02? I would like it to be the whole drop in kit with screen, etc...

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Doug

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I was you probably put Motorcraft last you longer then a aftermarket is my saying but I could be wrong bro

True- but double the price! Yikes.

The fuel tank is now out and on the ground- major PIA. But an experience nonetheless. Thanks for the reply!

True- but double the price! Yikes.

The fuel tank is now out and on the ground- major PIA. But an experience nonetheless. Thanks for the reply!

Too late now for this, but you could have found a way to R&R the fuel pump without dropping the gas tank. It involves cutting a 3 sided cut hole thru the rear floor boards over the area of the fuel pump/sending unit which gives you access to removing and replacing the fuel pump. It's considered a lot easier way to R&R the fuel pump than dropping the tank. The repair post in here came with instructions, photos and what tools to use.

Thanks for the tip- I saw the link for the floorboard method but was worried about making a bad cut and making more problems for myself. A likely scenario given my lack of talent :) Thanks for the suggestions guys!

With regards to the Denso fuel pump, does anyone know if it is a direct "drop-in" replacement or do I have to fiddle around with sub-components?

Thanks,
Doug

With regards to the Denso fuel pump, does anyone know if it is a direct "drop-in" replacement or do I have to fiddle around with sub-components?

Thanks,
Doug

The assembly just drops right in.

I ended up putting the Airtex as it was the only one available in town. The vehicle started right up!
Too bad I spent time trying to steer the vehicle into the garage while it was not running- now my power steering wheel and rack is vibrating during slow speed turns!

Thanks again for all of the help fellas!

Back