Recommendation for Rebuilt Manual Tranny and Clutch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recommendation for Rebuilt Manual Tranny and Clutch

spt87

Reaction score
City, State
Sandwich
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac 4x4
Hi, I have a 2002 Sport Trac 4x4 with a manual transmission.

Due to the tranny running low on oil, I'm looking for a rebuilt unit. Anyone have recommendation for a rebuilder? There are a couple to choose from on Rock Auto and I found a third online - Xtreme Performance - whose description of what they do during the rebuild I like.

Also how about a clutch recommendation? The factory clutch I believe is ok (124,000 miles) but since the tranny is coming out may as well do it too. I see several different brands on Rock Auto and other sites. Want to stay with an auto adjusting clutch.

I can only recommend on a clutch and slave.
LUK is what Ford used in the 90s, that’s what I used in two different trucks, the whole clutch/slave package. Not sure if they still used them in your year, but...
The best slave is Motorcraft, followed by LUK.

Ok, thank you. Any other opinions are welcome. For the tranny I seem to have narrowed it down to a Zumbrota or Jasper rebuilt M5R1. Zumbrota was very responsive to my questions and I like what they list as their rebuild procedure. The mechanic I have helping me with this has used Jasper for other items a lot so he is looking into that.

Back