• Register Today It's free!

Red gauge needles

mdriggan

Reaction score
City, State
Little Rock, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer Expedition
I would like to change the color of the needles on the dash to red (when the lights are on). I have experimented with "hyperwhite" bulbs in the A/C controls and I have gotten good results making the green graphics into blue. I am now wanting to do the same with the dash.

Does anyone know if there is a way to change the needle color by placing a red film or lens over the space where the light goes to the needle? Keep in mind that I will be using "hyperwhite" type bulbs and I think that the red will show up nicely throught the needles. Also, how many bulbs are in the dash?

I thought about using blue bulbs, so that all of the dash lights would be blue, but I wasnt sure if the red marks on the gauges would show up very well. Any thoughts on this while on the subject?

And, the buttons for the rear window defogger and fog lights. Are those LEDs or 194 bulbs too? I would like to replace those with blue bulbs as well.

Sorry this is so long...Thanks for any input
:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have heard about people coloring them with sharpie markers, and sharpie makes a red permanent marker

I am also in the process of trying to make the perfect gauge for my truck. I have learned allot right here about it also. I worked 3 sets of needles over so far and this is what I came up with.

Step 1 - I used a light sandpaper to take off all the white paint I could on the needles, front and back.

Step 2 - I then used a red and a green sharpie pen and painted the needles where they were once white. I have found the sharpie to work the best for me. I also tried to use a sharpie over the white, and it just didn't look clean enough for me. Sp now I have a set of red needles and a set of green needles. They both look better than the plain white one, or maybe I should say just as good, but different.

Step 3 - Replaced the factory 194 bulbs with led bulbs of clear, green, and red to see the difference. Clear/bright white bulbs worked the best for this to me.

Now I am working on changing the background colors. Will keep it green/w red trim, but only a cleaner, yet darker green and red.

Hope this helps,
HD

So, during the day are the needles white or red? I would prefer that they stay white during the day and then red when the lights are on.

Michael

Then leave them white and put red led bulbs behind them.

im very interested in this post.

where can i get the lights to change to make it a bluish color? or even a darker green color? im talkin about the buttons like the rear window wiper, the fog lights etc.. and also i wanna get the teal green out of my guage cluster.. what bulb do i have to change, how hard is it to get to and how much is it?

There is a complete write up in here on just doing that. It is a very simple operation. I could do it, so I would think almost anyone can. The green numbers you see now are actually blue. The standard bulbs that are behind the instrument cluster, 6 I beleive are a yellowish color. So blue and yellow equal green. If you go and get some clear whites, or led bulbs, 194's that is it will make the blue come out. Does that make since?

HD

Originally posted by BBQ_HotDogs
Then leave them white and put red led bulbs behind them.

Ok yeah I have thought about doing that, but with red 194 bulbs, but wouldnt the graphics that would normally be blue be purple? Red plus blue? I really dont want purple gauges. Im sure there is a way to make them red by placing some type of red film or lens over the opening the light goes into. I havent gotten that far with it. Just have to open it up and look at it I guess. :D

There is a complete write up in here on just doing that. It is a very simple operation. I could do it, so I would think almost anyone can. The green numbers you see now are actually blue. The standard bulbs that are behind the instrument cluster, 6 I beleive are a yellowish color. So blue and yellow equal green. If you go and get some clear whites, or led bulbs, 194's that is it will make the blue come out. Does that make since?

HD

Yeah 194 bulbs are what you need. I have been experimenting with bulbs called Blazer Lights, sold at AutoZone. The NB bulbs gives off a nice white light. They also have a blue, red and amber bullbs. I may try BBQs advice and see what a red bulb looks like behind the gauges, I really want red needles, just not purple graphics.

how much are these bulbs and where are they located on the truck?

see i have installed guages myself and i know how to take it all apart but if i remember correctly i didn't see any place where i could open the cluster up and get to the bulbs?? i wouldnt want to have blue on the dash and green in the cluster.. how many lights are there to exchange?

The Blazer Lights that I mentioned are about $3.00 for a package of two (2).

As far as where they are located, I really cant tell you because I havent taken the gauges out myself. I have only seen pictures on this board. I need to take a look myself and see what its like behind there before I do anything with the needles.

Michael

I am also in the process of trying to make the perfect gauge for my truck. I have learned allot right here about it also. I worked 3 sets of needles over so far and this is what I came up with.

Step 1 - I used a light sandpaper to take off all the white paint I could on the needles, front and back.

Step 2 - I then used a red and a green sharpie pen and painted the needles where they were once white. I have found the sharpie to work the best for me. I also tried to use a sharpie over the white, and it just didn't look clean enough for me. Sp now I have a set of red needles and a set of green needles. They both look better than the plain white one, or maybe I should say just as good, but different.

Step 3 - Replaced the factory 194 bulbs with led bulbs of clear, green, and red to see the difference. Clear/bright white bulbs worked the best for this to me.

Now I am working on changing the background colors. Will keep it green/w red trim, but only a cleaner, yet darker green and red.

Hope this helps,
HD

So when you applied the red Sharpie marker to the needles, were the needles dark red or a pinkish color when the lights are on? Also, does the red show up good during the day against the black background? Thanks for your help...

Michael

So when you applied the red Sharpie marker to the needles, were the needles dark red or a pinkish color when the lights are on? Also, does the red show up good during the day against the black background?
The needles came out red red red. Not pink, not burgundy, but red. They look very very nice and better than the current orange color I see coming out now. They show up very nicely in the day time against the black bachground also. I have 2 right now in front of me, 1 is with the white left on and a red sharpie gone over it, and the other is the white totally sanded off and then the red sharpie painted over it. They both look great, but there is some difference of the color. I need to check these out at night to give you a 100% definate answer as to which one I think is the best color.

Sorry to keep being a pest:rolleyes: , but did you apply the red on the front and back of the needles? On the sides? How much did you use to get the dark red color?

Also, can the needles themselves be taken off of the pins they are on and replaced? I was thinking about looking for some red needles from another type of vehical and putting them on the pins. Would this work? I saw the inside of an 2002 Impala yesterday and those needles were awesome when lit up. Thanks again!!!!!:D

did you apply the red on the front and back of the needles? Yes, both the top and the bottom.
On the sides? No, do not paint the sides at all. Leave clear.
How much did you use to get the dark red color?
Use it till you are satisfied with the results. Several coats is definately best, but remember, I am just experimenting with this and I like my results. By the way, I used 5 coats. 1 a day for 5 days, just wanted it to dry real good before each coat. It is a permanent marker also.

Back