• Register Today It's free!

Removing Gauge Needles

mjoyal4

Reaction score
City, State
Somewhere, RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport
I recently put new gauges on my truck. These slipped over the current ones and required no removal of the needles.

They were fine for about a week now I think the 2 sided tape gave loose and the needles stick.. I've searched but not found a good enough answer to my question.

I plan on taking the stock gauges off, which mean the needles have to be removed. This way I can attach the new gauges on so they don't stick.So how exactly do I reset the needles to where they belong?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

these gauges from speedhut? cause i just ordered mine and wondering if im gonna have the same issue

No, these are from ebay. But I think you'll have the same issue if they slide over. Many others have had this problem.

Can anyone help because I'd like to take it apart tonight lol.

Use a salad fork to remove the needles. Works perfectly. Use a Scangauge to read the tach and speed via the PCM. That's what I did. Both needles are bang on. I took a photo of the gauges before I did the deed to position the other needles. You can use a GPS for the speed, but that does't help you with the revs.

Lots of trial and error to get it right.
Posted via Mobile Device

Okay, thank you for the help. But um.. Do I need to buy the Scangauge? I looked it up and I don't have the money for that. It does say something about Autozone though. Is there a service they have there where one can be used?

Just telling you how I did it. Others have set speed by having buddies drive beside them and call out speed and guess on revs. That could take a while. Took me about an hour for both needles and lots of tweaking. Speed tracks bang on with my GPS too.
Posted via Mobile Device

quick and cheap way... turn the key forwards, take a picture, turn the key off and then remove... then when you go to put them back on, turn the key forwards, check the picture and install... that's what I did for mine.

okay thanks guys.

I can get the speedometer right by GPS and as for gas and the others, I'll take a picture of it as Axial32 said. I know how many revs my truck goes in idle so I'll be able to get accurate number this way.

again, as long as the key is turned on when the picture is taken. and the key is turned on when the needles are being replaced, just put them exactly where the picture has them. with the ignition on the needle motors turn to default, so where they are in the picture is where the motor will be positioned.

again, as long as the key is turned on when the picture is taken. and the key is turned on when the needles are being replaced, just put them exactly where the picture has them. with the ignition on the needle motors turn to default, so where they are in the picture is where the motor will be positioned.

Sounds like it would work. Have you ever tested it against another source of speed/revs?

ah so keep everything plugged in and ignition on during the entire thing. good point, id mess that up too

This is exactly how I did mine. If you sit and think about it. Everytime you turn the key on without starting the motor... everything moves to a spot. So if when you take the picture the key is turned to that point of the guages are moved to default, they're going to be in the exact same spot even without the needles on them, so all you have to do is put them back where the picture depicts.

Here's mine...
o7k12d.jpg

blurry cell phone pic.

The only time you need the cluster plugged in and ignition on is when you take the picture(duh) and when you're replacing the needles. otherwise the motors will still turn back to default position after it's reinstalled

Makes sense

Now out of curiousity, how are those needles held on? I don't feel like breaking them and celly said use a salad fork to remove them. Just want to know why. What keeps the needle connected to the gauges?

they just slide onto the like shaft/pin that it's on... pops right off, you just have to be careful not to actually break off the needle.

wow thats.... easier than i thought then

It'll be really easy... the hard part is getting the dash apart...
You have to remove the lower panel below the steering column, a few screws and just the right pulling. then remove the metal shield under that, then remove the radio and the bezel with the two screw above the climate controls,which you really just have to slid it out a ways so you can pull the other panel off. then remove the screws around the top lip of the cluster... then the cluster screws, tilt the column all the way down so you can remove the cluster easier. Or I think you might be able to just remove the clear protective cover that is over the cluster. Either way it's a long process... I've gotten good enough at it that I can remove and install a cluster in under 20 minutes.. mainly because I've change so many burn't out lights. I have three close friends with explorers, mine, and my gma has a sporttrac. I've done all of them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok but where's the link lol. Maybe I'm not seeing it bc I'm not using my computer.

Back