Refrigerant Leak in the High Pressure Port | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Refrigerant Leak in the High Pressure Port

biot

Reaction score
City, State
Miami, Fl.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I have a 94 Explorer 4x4, 4.0 V6. My compressor was leaking refrigerant so I went ahead and changed the a/c compressor, the accumulator, and the orifice tube. I put 8 oz of oil in the compressor before installing it. Once I had completed the installation, I started to recharge the system with R134A. As soon as I started recharging the system, the refrigerant started shooting out of the high pressure port. Could it be that the high pressure port went bad and is stuck in an open position or could it be something I overlooked and/or did not do right. I am leaning towards changing the high pressure and low pressure lines (since you have to buy them together) which will give me a new high pressure port. Any suggestions as what to do would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The ports should have shradder valves -- check to make sure they are still working correctly. Also, how much freon do you think you got in it?

-Drew

I put in less than 1/2 a can and it started shooting out of the high pressure port. How do you check a shradder valve?

just make sure its sealing properly - and make sure its not stuck down (i.e. bleeds off pressure).

-Drew

Also be sure to pull down a vacuum on your system BEFORE you begin adding refrigerent. You can do this by connecting the system to a vacuum port on the engine. Not exactly the best way, but it does work. I made myself a system for doing this with a vacuum gauge on it so I can tell if the system is holding vacuum. This will also evacuate the moisture and air for you.

Back