• Register Today It's free!

Relocated oil filter V8

Chris340

Reaction score
City, State
Manalapan, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 XLT
Has anyone relocated the oil filter on their V8 Explorers? If so, where did you mount the remote filter? What kit did you use?
Those who change the oil themselves are aware of the mess and tight location of the stock filter. There has got to be an easier way!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I did my first oil change, I was like, "this is a pretty sweet setup!" I like how it has a path for the oil to drain and I feel it's easy to clean up?

So nope, no remote mount oil filter here but I think someone did do it? Maybe it was a different gen though???

Look at Amzoil's website, they sell remote oil filter and bypass filter set up's. I am not sure if anyone has done a remote set up and a 3rd Gen but it has been done on a 2nd gen.

When I did my first oil change, I was like, "this is a pretty sweet setup!" I like how it has a path for the oil to drain and I feel it's easy to clean up?

So nope, no remote mount oil filter here but I think someone did do it? Maybe it was a different gen though???

x2 it makes changing oil quick and easy, the only other car/truck that the oil change was easier was a 2002-2003? v6 honda, i could literaly access the filter standing up.

Wow, maybe its me or my X thats messed up.
First off you need to grab the filter from the front and every brand of filter is a different shape so multiple cup style filter wrenches are needed or you must stick to the same brand. The motorcraft filter is best because it has like splines instead of flats so I found this the best but still akward and the wrench always jamms onto the filter and difficult to get off after you tighten it. K&N has the 1" hex which is ok but those are hard to find. You just need the respective filter cup wrench, a ratchet, swivel, 12" extention and patience.
Once you get the filter loose you must turn it at a snails pace if you want the oil to hit that gutter thingy and it still leaves a trail of oil down the front of the crossmember. Maybe mines a little short because some oil always drips off the back running down the back off the crossmember and even down the front diff cover, no matter how slow or carefull I am. Oil also curls under that gutter thingy and is next to impossible to wipe.
Then, once the filter is loose i am like a monkey trying to get an apple out of a jar and my hand and filter just does not fit between the rad shroud and the crossmember. And did I mention the nearby power steering cooler.....or should I call it the stack of razor blades? Now trying to wiggle out a oily half full filter just makes more of a mess. Same issues in reverse order on the install.
I have owned many cars and trucks and serviced countless others. This is the worst. No sweet set up to me. Makes a 20 minute job a nightmare.

Well, Gotta go change the band-aids on my knucles now. Sorry for the rant! ;)

couple of tips, (mines a v8) milage may vary, also hand size might change things, too.

I just stick to Motorcraft filters, they seem well made and not too expensive, so i just have one filter cup wrench (for motorcraft) which i attach to a flex-joint and 12" extension.

Oil might curl under but i've never noticed. You know those plastic bags that the newspaper come in? I use one to grab the filter and catch any left over oil.

biggest problem i had was the drain bolt. I couldn't squeeze under the running boards, got tired of jacking it up so i made some cheap ramps. I took a scrape 2x12''s cut to 3' and made a little ramp stacking them. I can now fit under the running boards and get to that bolt. I gained about 3". . .

couple of tips, (mines a v8) milage may vary, also hand size might change things, too.

I just stick to Motorcraft filters, they seem well made and not too expensive, so i just have one filter cup wrench (for motorcraft) which i attach to a flex-joint and 12" extension.

Oil might curl under but i've never noticed. You know those plastic bags that the newspaper come in? I use one to grab the filter and catch any left over oil.

biggest problem i had was the drain bolt. I couldn't squeeze under the running boards, got tired of jacking it up so i made some cheap ramps. I took a scrape 2x12''s cut to 3' and made a little ramp stacking them. I can now fit under the running boards and get to that bolt. I gained about 3". . .

Now just think if you lost 3"s and how much more room you'd have...........:D

Edit: I wanted to mention that I never need a wrench to take the oil filter off. I fill the filter up, smear a little oil on the o-ring and after snugging it up by hand, I give it about a 1/4 turn(by hand) and it's good to go. Next oil change, reach up there(it snug, takes effort) and take it off.

Back