remaining life expectancy of '99 Exp 6-cylinder | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

remaining life expectancy of '99 Exp 6-cylinder

Should last you to 250k and up, if she isn't a leadfoot...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it's a SOHC get the mechanic to replace the timing chain tensioners while he's in there.
Replacing the inlet manifold gaskets accounts for most of the labour cost of doing the tensioners.

I just bought my '97 SOHC V6 4x4 last August from the original owner. I did a lot of research on 4x4s before deciding to go with an Explorer. One of the reasons I bought one is because so many people routinely get 200K+ miles out of them and quite a few get more than that.

My Explorer had been well maintained and the owner had all records. It had 160K on it when I bought it. I wouldn't have your daughter sell her's unless there is a real (not anticipated) reason to do so.

The advice about doing the chain tensioner at the same time as the intake is good advice. It's one of the more common repairs required at high mileage, so why not be proactive?

Cheers,

I keep up with the oil changes and mait. and my 96 has 325,000 on it. Its my everyday driver and I go in the woods with it. The explorers are works horses. Just as long as you keep up with mait. they will run forever. Hope this helps your daughter make her decision.

I just bought mine a few weeks ago with 272,000 on it. Runs like a champ!

98 Sport sohc 430km dd and trail driven love my truck

You can't really count the tires as a repair since that's basic stuff and would have to be worried about regardless of what vehicle, so don't think of that as a "repair".

My buddy has a 97 SOHC with probably upwards of 140K on it with original trans and he still drives it all over the place. He actually took it up north for vacation this week.

Just pop the hood, if the engine cover says "SOHC" on it, then it's the SOHC.

If it just says "4.0 EFI" then its the OHV engine.

SOHC has more power but has timing chain issues, although if your motor isn't noisy you should be good for awhile. OHV is a strong motor that should last a long time. Just use good oil to keep the top end lubricated.

My 4.0 OHV/5-speed Explorer just rolled over 206k. Transmission started grinding into first gear at 204k so I rebuilt it.

Back