• Register Today It's free!

1999 Exp Sport - end of life?

clackkent

Reaction score
City, State
Woodland Hills, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Sport
Over the last year we've kept the girl running but at 394,000 miles and a few CELs it might be time to say goodbye. I'd appreciate thoughts on this. Last night i checked with the scanner code and came up with these;

PO306 Cyl 6 misfire detected
PO136 O2 circuit bank 1 sensor 2
PO153 O2 circuit slow response bank 2 sensor 1

The coolant tank has brown muck in it and a few months back my mechanic tried to fix the cyl 6 issue by using a block sealant. Guessing either there is a crack in the block/head or the head gasket has gone. Performance is sluggish and gas mileage is poor. I'm not sure if the O2 senor issues are a symptom of the cyl 6 misfire issue or another thing to be fixed.

We got this car from a relative for zero $ and I've just been keeping it going over the last year for my daughter to drive around locally, so I don't really want to put much money into it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

At 400k I'd just scrap it. It sure doesn't own you anything.

I did the same with my 99' Explorer Sport. I miss it already even though I bought 2014 Explorer XLT

Well my mechanic fixed it up by using block sealant again and also using a different kind of spark plug more tolerant of coolant in the cylinder! He also changed the O2 sensors and its now running a lot better. I only need it to last another 6-9 months! Glad its running sweet again.

What spark plug did he put in?

Oops sorry! I think it was a Lodge plug, but I don't know the part no.

Not familiar with a lodge plug, is it just hotter, or ?

Back