• Register Today It's free!

Remote start question.

edwx

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
About 3 years ago I had a remote start w/bypass module installed. It's a one way remote start only, no other features. I need to upgrade to a 2-way starter with a farther range. Can I do the upgrade myself? Since the bypass module is already installed can I basically just swap out the old unit and install the new? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's an Autostart AS-1455.

Its going to be a hit or miss. if you stay with autostart the harnesses may be the same so you can just plug and play (maybe). otherwise you can just connect (wire to wire) from your new start to the told (however colors may not be the same)

It probably won't be an Autostart unit. If I do connect the new wires to the old, I'm assuming that the only programming that has to be done will be with the new remotes, and I can leave the bypass module alone?

You will have to connect the bypass module to the new remote start.

if you go with a different brand the easiest way to do this is sit down with the new installation manual and one from the autostart and match wire for wire. then you will have to connect then somehow (solder/tape, crimp...). once installed then program the new unit.

depending on the bypass module and how it was installed the only programming should be the new remote start. Now if the bypass looses power then you may need to program that also.

I compared the wiring schematics, and if I upgrade to a 2-way AUTOSTART unit, the harnesses are exactly the same. When I plug in the new brain, is it difficult to program it? The programming instructions look a bit confusing to me. I was hoping that maybe someone could help me cut to the chase with the programming part. Thanks.

Back