removal of water-marks on windows??!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

removal of water-marks on windows??!!

matt987

Reaction score
City, State
baton rouge, louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 xlt
i bought my explorer a few months ago from this old lady, and the truck looks like it had never been washed, the windows are covered in those little water marks, or mineral build-ups or whatever...i just need to know how in the hell to get the crap off...any ideas whatsoever? besides buying new windows..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Vinager and newspaper.

Thats a good idea. I use vinegar around the house on faucets and stuff to remove mineral deposits. Works pretty good.

Way late reply - but a good tip I learned from a detail shop in SoCal,

SoCal has HARD WATER - and this is a very common problem when you live there.

OK - To take calcium stains off of your windows use Bon-Ami Powder Cleaner and a Sponge.

Yep - go down to your local supermarket and buy Bon-Ami Cleaning Powder - It should be in the aisle with the dish soap.

While washing your car, get your windshield wet, and apply a lot of Bon-Ami. Hit it over and over with a wet sponge, water, and elbow grease.

It takes sweat and time, but it works....

If you have really bad water stains, you can use a electric buffer with a new terry covered sponge. Use lots of water to keep the glass lubricated.

HTH,
FD

I use Bon Ami at least every other wash- good to get the road grime and bugs off with ease. Awesome stuff- hell- I cleaned the leather seats in one of my old SHO's with it before an intense conditioning...

My problem is a bit more complex... my truck does have stains but these look more like some rusty metal stains. Looks like truck was parked under some kind of canopy... stains are very hard - orange (rusty) in color... I tried windex on windows and it worked to some degree... but was very hard. Might try vinegar tomorrow. Now, paint is gonna be something to clean... buff... :eek:

You guys just need a good quality clay bar. That should work fine for what you're looking to do. Either that or when you're waxing your truck use the same rag to wipe down your windows and then buff them out with a microfiber. It'll be spot free, and kinda acts like rainX. Just some thoughts.

Back