Remove 4x4 hubs? 24"s on a 94! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remove 4x4 hubs? 24"s on a 94!

Hey fellow explorers. So first off I must say I know some will be mad for this but I could care less about my 4x4. I live in Sacramento and there’s no off roading around here nor do I want to go off road. SOOO, question is, can I remove my 4x4 hubs without damaging anything? If I lose my 4x4 all together I don’t care. I was talking to a buddy of mine that had 22”s on his 93 X and he removed his hubs and everything was good. But I don’t want to fu** my truck up so I want to ask you guys first!

Here are some quick specs on the X

94 XLT w/ 170K. Original transmission and motor. Runs like a champ. You don’t want to know the thousands of dollars I have dropped in my system over the years (you can take a look at my 36 Youtube vidz for that)

She is on 22” w/ a 35 series tires (soon to be up on 24”s)
Dual Flowmaster 40 series Delta flow exhaust
Grill and clear corners.

My car domain page

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3250698

You tube vidz

http://www.youtube.com/splexplorer
THANKS FOR YOUR TIME!!!

l_97ddb3d5000640bd8f01e4c4059ad01c.png

l_9e5cc91a0aa84ee0b0ea12dfc23072ae.png

l_ee6d9dd9811a432982e4611a69ede803.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ohh and I did modify the front center caps for the hubs to stick out on the 22"s. But im going to be doing 24"s and I dont want to cut the center caps on thoes.

I guess I just don't understand what the problem is. I have a 97 explorer on 24's. My truck is a 4x4, I didn't have to change a thing to get them to fit.

I'm not certain of the exact problem, either, but there is one significant difference between your '97 and his '94: the locking hubs on the front. I don't know if the problem is trouble finding wheels with the right "hub diameter" or if he doesn't want the hub sticking outside of the wheel like it is designed to (the latter is my guess).

You can't simply "remove the hub". One of it's purposes is to seal out dirt and water from getting into the wheel bearings. If you decide to remove it, you need to figure something else out to put on there to keep stuff out of the bearings. It's been a few months since I've had it all apart, but, looking at an old hub, I estimate that the axleshaft sticks out 2.5-3 inches beyond the wheel flange (with the lug studs), so whatever solution you devise will probably have to stick out about three inches. Before getting too involved in this, you might want to look at the wheels you want to buy and figure out if it's even possible to fit the axleshaft inside wheel.

If I've misunderstood the reason for wanting to do this, please clarify what you want to accomplish.

Sorry if I wasent clear. Here is what im talking about. The pic is from my current 22"s...

Yes, im talking about the 4x4 hubs...

:roll:

Sorry about the dirty rims :p:

untitled-5.jpg

untitled2.jpg

Wow your explorer is amazing!

I have a 92 eddie bauer, its seen better days but wow what I would give for some rims like that, and your subs.

What kinda headunit you got? What batts/caps/alts you got?

I have a 92 eddie bauer, its seen better days but wow what I would give for some rims like that, and your subs.

What kinda headunit you got? What batts/caps/alts you got?

Well I used to do the TV/ in-dash thing until I got to loud and the screens themselves starting rattling apart. So I gave up on it. I run a Pioneer deck with I-Pod hookup. I can only play I-pods in my X. CDs will just skip if I crank the bass up. Yes my truck looks good but it’s been destroyed from the sound systems over the years. I ripped a gap 2 inches long in my roof between the front passenger and driver seats, both back window seals are blown to hell and everything rattles. But that’s what happens when you have bass.

You can check out my cardomain page for all my pix of my system

I don't think removing the hubs will cause any problems except the obvious loss of 4x4. Provided everything is covered up, it should be fine. You are going to put dust caps on there so it should be alright.

However, if you are just going use 2x4, I suggest you find a knuckle/hub assembly from a 2x4 and swap that onto your beams. Then you can remove the axles. Removing the differential is kind of your choice because there is a risk. Many people here have removed the pumpkin from the beam and drove like that with no ill effects. Others say it is a structural part of the beam and needs to be left there. However it is up to you what you want to do. It may be fine, especially because you are going to be staying on the street. But if you remove the front pumpkin you can then remove the drive shaft as well, leaving only the t-case and the beams as the 4x4 components left on your vehicle. This will at least yield some weight savings.

So in short, your idea will work most likely and be the cheapest. But the "proper" way to do it would be to swap in a 2wd knuckle and hub assembly.

ok back to the original problem....

if you remove the hub then how are you gonna keep the grease in the bearings and keep the dirt out?

think it might be worth while for you to find some 2x4 ends and swap em out to keep everything good.

What are the specs on the tire rim combo. i'm lookin to put some 22s on my x and didnt want to buy the wrong stuff

I don't think you'd have any problem whatsoever taking the hubs off for good, I would agree that finding a way to TRY and keep water out would be a good idea. The factory rubber o-ring around the hub is all that keeps crap out now, wouldn't be hard to come up with some sort of dust cap as was mentioned. If you are 100% certain you don't want 4x4 to work, take the front driveshaft off as well.

Well I used to do the TV/ in-dash thing until I got to loud and the screens themselves starting rattling apart. So I gave up on it. I run a Pioneer deck with I-Pod hookup. I can only play I-pods in my X. CDs will just skip if I crank the bass up. Yes my truck looks good but it’s been destroyed from the sound systems over the years. I ripped a gap 2 inches long in my roof between the front passenger and driver seats, both back window seals are blown to hell and everything rattles. But that’s what happens when you have bass.
You can check out my cardomain page for all my pix of my system

Tell me about it bro.....my paint is cracked in a couple spots on my roof from all that damn BOOM BOOM!! but thats kinda part of the fun haha but ur X is gonna be stuntin with some 4s on it. What brand and model rim you gonna roll with?

removing 4x4 hubs from 94 ford explorer

I have a similar question. I have removed the hubs and locks, on the driver side the small gear is broken and one of the washers is in half. cannot afford to fix it right now. Can I just leave the hub on with out the locks. and not use 4x4 untill i can fix it? thanks, basicly using it as a dust cover. my passenger side is still locked turning the rotor there is a scraping sound and it does not spin freely. other areas of the site i am trying to resolve this. This is my work truck and it has to run now. Going out today to check module and shift motor.Thanks for any info.

Back