remove door chime all together! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

remove door chime all together!

vipjeff

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 1995 Ford Explorer and the door ajar "gong"/chime is driving me CRAZY! I always wear my seat belt while driving but I work on my car a lot and I want to have my door open while ignition is in the "on" position while replacing my dash components etc.

Please someone tell me where this gong noise is coming from and if I can just yank it physically or if I can put an in line switch for the times I want to work on my car and not be driven to mental insanity!

Thank you!
:exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there's a switch that senses when the key is in the ignition. if you remove the plastic trim collar around the steering column (a few screws from underneath) you should have access to the ignition switch. If I remember correctly, there's a blue wire that's connected to the ignition switch. If you remove this wire the chime should no longer work. I suppose you could even add a toggle switch to this wire, then you could have it both ways (be able to turn off the chime when you don't want it going off).

there's a switch that senses when the key is in the ignition. if you remove the plastic trim collar around the steering column (a few screws from underneath) you should have access to the ignition switch. If I remember correctly, there's a blue wire that's connected to the ignition switch. If you remove this wire the chime should no longer work. I suppose you could even add a toggle switch to this wire, then you could have it both ways (be able to turn off the chime when you don't want it going off).

Already removed that collar which you are talking about and that does stop the dinging but only sometimes for some functions but still makes noise most of the time. Any pictures or video of this blue wire you speak of?

Does no one know the physical location of this menace so I can just physically remove it? I would be totally ok with that as long as it doesn't mess with anything else.

Try searching the forum (Tip: Sometimes a Google search works better than the forum's search). I know this subject has been covered before. Try "turning off door chime".

Here's one link:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55317

I have Googled and searched this forum for weeks before posting but not with that terminology "turning off door chime" but even then it does not tell you how to completely remove it. All I can find is just disabling the seatbelt part of it or a full blown jumper wire setup for each door and trunk there has to be an easier way by physically finding it and removing it isn't there?

Ok guys thank you for those last few links I will try those and it even said where the offender is so I will likely just end up wiring an in-line switch in that would be best for me thanks again!

Back