Deepest sounding FM muffler for my 2002 x V6 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Deepest sounding FM muffler for my 2002 x V6

I agree with Rich. If you put some "pee shooters" at the end of your exhaust, the tone will be dramatically different than say a "coffee can" tip. As for a deep tone, I didn't feel like spending any money at the time, so I just offset the bolts on my exhaust line to the muffler and it sounded pretty damn good... for a free mod. As for the performance, I noticed nothing... no change in the gas mileage either... a difference from other models that I have done this to. Just my 2 pennies! Good luck!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sams01XplrSprt I saw your pics and your set up does look good. I'm either going to get the 50 or 40 series I think and the guy I have installing it will probably get me the tip I ask for. I guess it doesn't matter how long the tip is?

I have the 40 series Flowmaster muffler with a 3 inch chrome tip (4.0L V6). Sounds great. Not too expensive either.

That's probably what I'll get, but I'll get a stainless steel tip so it lasts longer.

Yes, if there is one thing i regret, it is going with the chrome tip..looks nice in the summer, but if i don't hit it with never dull ever couple weeks, the salt on the road takes its toll. Might be switching to stainless this spring as well as going with dual exhaust.

I went to my local auto repair man and he said that I shouldn't put a new muffler on and just take the old one off because of the three catalytic converters. He'll still make it a dual exhaust system though. Does anyone have an x without a muffler???

i dont think running without a muffler would sound good at all. plus you'll loose a lot of low end torque.

on another note heres a clip of my FM 50 SUV series. 2.25" piping with 2.5" tip:
th_CIMG1907.jpg

Flowmaster Delta Flow 40 Series...

Custom CBE... 2.5'' pipe in - muffler - 2.5'' pipe out - 3'' tip...

YOUTUBE - " caldwell exhaust " clip is a few hours after install...

2uz5u1s.jpg
dm5ufn.jpg
5x8j1w.jpg

The tips do have a difference.. When I first got this done they put the wrong tips on.. these are 3" but they put 4" on, which looked rediculous, but changed the tone completely.. it was more throaty at idle and just plain loud and annoying at normal speeds

128_0102.jpg

128_0104.jpg

128_0124.jpg

I remember when I first got my fm I had a 2.5 inch chrome tip on the end and it sounded alright but then i got a stainless steel 3 inch one and i like a lot better it deepened the sound a bit from what I hear

Anymore clips with sound so I can hear the different tones? would be very helpful to me and many others. Thanks everyone

yeah we need to get a sticky of exhaust clips like the 2nd gen forum has. very helpful!

Back