Removing 2002 explorer sport console? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing 2002 explorer sport console?

renda10

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport
how do you remove the center console from a 2002 sport? i tried to follow the how to but its not the same. please help!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You pull the oval covers off on the back top of the console, and remove the bolts in there. And pull the cup holder piece off. It will seem like you're going to break it but it'll pull off, there's a couple screws under there. Then with some persuasion the console should come off.

You pull the oval covers off on the back top of the console, and remove the bolts in there. And pull the cup holder piece off. It will seem like you're going to break it but it'll pull off, there's a couple screws under there. Then with some persuasion the console should come off.

What oval parts are you talking about? Can you maybe post some pictures so I can see what you are talking about.
Posted via Mobile Device

its a full console.

Is your 2002 a 4dr.? If it is than it's not really a sport. On the 3rd gen. Explorers they got confusing and called some 4dr. "Sports" but what it really is, is a sport package and not a model. So if yours is a 4dr. it's really a XLT Sport, or XLT with the sport package. Explorer Sports, and they made them up until 2003 are 2dr. Explorers with some different styling than the 4dr. Xs of those years that are more sporty. If you have a 3rd gen Explorer (2002 4dr.) than I couldn't tell you how to remove the console, I don't have any experience with them. I'm sure someone with a 3rd gen could tell you how though.

If you provide a picture, that might help... briwayjones has given you every detail on what to do. Toss up a pic :)

I thought all sports had the short console. Learn something new everyday. The full length consoles are a little different and don't have the oval covers I was talking about. I don't know off the top of my head where there are any pictures or how to remove it. I'll have to look around some. Just keep searching for console stuff and variations of the word.

i have a full console on my 02 sport, and its not the top of the line one, it didnt come with leather. and had a basic sound system..i am interested in how to remove this also

i notice the thread is old but owell. i have an 02 sport with the full console with 2 cupholders and a place to put things in the front.the cupholder area is a seperate piece that snaps out then u have access to the bolts that hold the rest of the console

My '01 and '02 Sport 2dr's both had full consoles, similar to the one in the Gen 2, 4 door Ex.

um in both the 98 2door sport and my 01 2 door they both have full length consoles. The 01 looks the same as one from a sport trac. On this one I think with some very careful force remove the grey trim that holds the cup holders and small open storrage bin. Then in the big storage bin when you remove the rubber mat there might be screws? not fully sure... ill try this myself and take pics. I hope this helps you. Let me know if you make any progress.

Back