Removing 3rd row seat for storage? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing 3rd row seat for storage?

dennis67

Reaction score
City, State
Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Limited
I have searched a few times but have only found a bunch of people looking to install a third row seat..

What I'm looking to do is remove my 3rd row seat on my 2003 4.6L Explorer Limited and make storage out of the space and hopefully make the hatch floor totally flat instead of the slight angle it's on now.

Anyone have any thoughts, links, threads or info on anything like this?

Thank you :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd like to know aswell. I never use my 3rd row.

well my explorer came without the rear seating and it has a nice little chunk of cargo space.. the compartment that opens up whenu remove it will be pretty deep... go to a ford dealer and see if they can give u the flat cover for it with the handle... u get that nad ur set

Hi guys

I bought my 2003 XLT without the 3rd row of seats and had a full set of shelves put in. Gave me heaps of storage space. I've been camping for 4 weeks and had plenty of room left.

I was able to put bolts into the shelves as tie downs, so all the stuff behind the cargo barrier is now nice and safely strapped down.

Cheers

Louise.

I wish I would have known. I would have saved all my stuff. I put in a third row and threw away all my stock (non-3rd row) stuff. It is pretty easy to take the seat out. Lift the bottom of the 3rd row out and there should be 4 bolt on each side. Undo all eight and it comes out. There are proly two larger bolts holding down the seat belt buckles. Let me know if this helps.
Jared G.

Hi guys

I bought my 2003 XLT without the 3rd row of seats and had a full set of shelves put in. Gave me heaps of storage space. I've been camping for 4 weeks and had plenty of room left.

I was able to put bolts into the shelves as tie downs, so all the stuff behind the cargo barrier is now nice and safely strapped down.

Cheers

Louise.

You wouldn't happen to have some pics from different angles of this setup, would you?

I wish I would have known. I would have saved all my stuff. I put in a third row and threw away all my stock (non-3rd row) stuff. It is pretty easy to take the seat out. Lift the bottom of the 3rd row out and there should be 4 bolt on each side. Undo all eight and it comes out. There are proly two larger bolts holding down the seat belt buckles. Let me know if this helps.
Jared G.

By stock, non 3rd row stuff, do you mean a flat piece that ends up being "trunk" floor for the back? Or is there more to it than that? Any pics of the process?

Thanks for your replies :thumbsup:

Ok this has absolutely nothing to do w/making a 3rd or not but I can't find the proper place to post this & I need help. The back floor compartment storage has these handles to lift the piece up where the jack etc. is stored, my handle is broke & i need a replacement & for the life of me cannot find one or even figure out what it's called. So at the risk of everyones wrath what the heck is it & where can I find another BESIDES the dealer.

P5200001.jpg

Back