Removing front driveshaft on AWD improve fuel mileage? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing front driveshaft on AWD improve fuel mileage?

TAKECOVER

Reaction score
City, State
Huntsville Al
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer EB V8
I bought a used 5.0 AWD, and there is no front shaft in it (the joint was bad). I have been getting 15-16 mpg in town, and was wondering if I put the front shaft back in, would my mileage drop much? I have zero use for an AWD, no mud, no snow, and not enough HP to need it.....yet. Thanks in advance for any help.

Jimmy

the t case is not designed to run without the front driveshaft. You are causing parts of the T case to spin without anything to drive, this will generate a bunch of energy not being used, which is used up in the form of heat.

It is not a good idea to run around with no front driveshaft on your AWD explorer.
You can do a search this has been discussed before.

Also, the AWD does not have a disengaging hub on the front wheels. You are still turning the front axles and differential.

A 4wd can save some gas by disengaging the 4 wheel, and disengaging the front hubs. The front axle is then completely disengaged, and does not spin while you drive the truck.

What you are doing now may fry your fluid clutch in your transfer case. Mucho Buckos.

You'll also lose park and have to depend on the emergency brake.

Back