Removing hood from 1995 XLT Tips please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing hood from 1995 XLT Tips please

drdoug

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT. Stock.
hello I need to take off the hood so I can get at the Cam pos. Synchronizer. I know it’s notvtoally necessary but...Can anyone tell me if I need to remove the hood liner ? My ex has a light mounted under the hood. That wire bundle is pretty bundled (for lack of a better term) and I don’t see a plug I can disconnect where it runs to the firewall. Any tips ? Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you disconnect the struts and let the hood hinge farther back instead of complete removal? As for the hood liner, usually those are just held in place by plastic push pins.

Did any 2nd gen model years/trim levels/options include an engine compartment light? If not, this might be something added by a prior owner and then may not have any connector to disconnect.

You could get a couple mating connectors from a hardware store or fancy weatherproof ones from ebay pretty cheap, though the cheapest take a month to ship from China. I mean you can just cut the wire and put the connectors on to reconnect it, or just solder it back if you want the cheaper route.

Can you disconnect the struts and let the hood hinge farther back instead of complete removal? As for the hood liner, usually those are just held in place by plastic push pins.

To disconnect the lift supports, use a small screw driver to pry out the spring metal bands on both ends of the strut. The struts will pretty much then fall off. Snap the springs back in place before reinstalling the struts and squirt a little WD40 in the ball sockets to allow the struts to snap back on easily. I just did this a couple of hours ago while replacing my struts.

I did not see where it would be necessary to remove the hood pad if I wanted to remove the hood. Just 4 bolts, what I assume is a ground wire (and a helper).

Yes, some models came with a hood light. My 96 had one, neither 98 do.

Back