Removing passenger air bag front panel from dash... easy?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing passenger air bag front panel from dash... easy??

Mikes95XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Bartlett, IL (currently in Bloomington for school)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
I am doing the last of my interior painting this weekend, and am painting the glovebox door, the passenger air bag panel, etc. How easy is it to take off the air bag panel? Will I set off my air bag??

Thanks....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is one of the MOST dangerous parts of the X you can mess with....It has an explosive inside, and you can seriously hurt yourself......:(

Don't mess with it at all, and if you absolutely have to, the battery has to be disconnected for 30 min or so ahead of time, plus you better be extra careful or you will end up hurt bad.

That might even be illegal to mess with in your area, it is best left to the professionals, sorry:(

hes right dont do it...

i recommend masking tape, dont touch it... mucho $$$$ if you mess up

Be careful with the removal, but it can be removed. I think that it's just a couple of bolts holding it in from the glovebox opening. At least that's what I remember from removing my dash for the blend door fix.

There is nothing difficult about removing it. My Ford CD states to disconnect the battery for a minimum of 1 minute before disconnecting the air-bag. I just removed my driver's side one yesterday after removing my battery cable for barely 5 minutes. No sudden explosions occured. If it makes you feel safer go with 30 minutes. Here is the procedure:

Passenger's Side

REMOVAL

Remove the battery cables.
1 Remove the battery ground cable.
2 Remove the battery to starter relay cable and wait one minute for the backup power supply to be depleted.

NOTE: When the battery is disconnected and reconnected, some abnormal drive symptoms may occur while the vehicle relearns its adaptive strategy. The vehicle may need to be driven 16 km (10 mi) or more to relearn the strategy.

3 Open the glove compartment door to access the mounting screws.

4 Remove the two screws.

5 Pull out the passenger side air bag.

6 Disconnect the electrical connector.
If the passenger side air bag module is diagnosed as faulty, dispose of the air bag.

INSTALLATION

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Attachments

• 62621682.gif
    62621682.gif
    11.5 KB · Views: 3,163

Thanks for your concern guys... I think I am going to be leaving it on and just masking everything off. Thanks again. :)

Don't paint it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Every auto manufacture says DO NOT paint the airbag door. Those doors are designed to split open at a certian time. Either way , you don't want paint chips flying into your face at 700 mph. !!
If your air bag malfunctions in any way and they find out you painted the door , they won't be liabale for any problems that might occour.

Oh wow! Thanks.... I guess I won't be painting it!! Thanks for the info!! :D

hehe...well now that you won't be painting it I guess my suggestion of tapping the front end with a 5lb sledge won't help!!

:D

Dave

P.S. If you do this, make sure that no one is in the truck when you do.

Wasn't planning on it...... :p

Back