• Register Today It's free!

removing the bezel

marl_d

Reaction score
City, State
South Haven, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
hello, this is my first post on the forum and i'm trying to replace my cigarette lighter, but i can't figure out how to remove the bezel and can't find anywhere online on how to do it. if anyone has a link that shows how to do it, i'd appericate it.

i have a 98 Explorer XLT 4wd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum! :cool:

There are two screws just above the heater controls. They're facing upwards, so you have to get down low and look up to see them. Once those two screws are out, you just gently pry the bezel off. The only thing holding it in besides those two screws are some pegs (much like the tail lights if you've removed those).

If it hasn't come off before then it'll most likely take a little muscle to get it out, mine did anyway. I used a small flat head screwdriver between the bezel and the dash to get it out far enough that I could get my fingers in there...

thanks guys i didn't even think to look underneath for screws :D and i have changed a brake light and thought i was breaking it a first LOL...

kitchen spatulas work better than screwdrivers, they distribute the force well.

kitchen spatulas work better than screwdrivers, they distribute the force well.

That woulda been nice to know a few months ago before I marked up my dash with a screwdriver...:banghead: Oh well, live and learn.

You know what, i only learned after i scratched up the ranger dash, and now, i seriously do not touch a vehicle without conducting a thorough forum search first. Saves so much time and money.

I put the new HU in about 2 weeks before I started to actually come here a lot. Originally joined to find out how to find my keyless entry and did a little write-up for it. Now I wouldn't even think about taking stuff apart without scouring the forum to find out what the hell I'm about to do.

Back