Removing the shift knob on a 2006? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing the shift knob on a 2006?

Boomyal

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Ltd
I am trying to remove the shift knob so that I can remove all the plastic pieces below it to clean all the goo that has accumulated therein.

This post talks about removing the knob for the purpose of replacing it.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346892&highlight=flex

I do not want to replace mine, just remove and reinstall it. The above link talks about lowering the bottom chrome sleeve to expose a set screw. It does not say how much force you should use to push that piece downward. It also does not say if you can readily reposition that piece once you force it down away from the leather knob wrap.

Anyone have an experience here?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That sleeve takes a good bit of pressure to pull down.

That sleeve takes a good bit of pressure to pull down.

I have plastic tools to do this with. I can apply sufficient downward pressure but I want to be sure that I can pull its pants back up after removing and reinstalling the knob.

I have plastic tools to do this with. I can apply sufficient downward pressure but I want to be sure that I can pull its pants back up after removing and reinstalling the knob.

LOL. Wow! Also be carefull, you dont want it coming off prematurely!:D but seriously it does slide back up easily.

Is there a certain method that has to be used, or technique?

And Scorpion, not really. just get a firm grip, and pull with steady pressure.

Cannon plug pliers might work pretty well.

Never heard of those b4! I googled thenm. I thought I had a good tool selection but Cannon Plug Pliers are not amongst them.

Haha, we use them alot in aviation. Their primary use is to loosen and tighten cannon plugs which are a type of electrical connector used in all kinds aeronautical equipment. But they are excellent for when you need to grip something with pliers, but don't want to scratch or mar the surface that you are gripping. I would not consider a tool set complete without one.

That sleeve takes some force to slide down. I tried mine and just chickened out. I'll keep trying.

Succeeded. See my other post.

Succeeded. See my other post.

Where did you apply the force? Did you push down on the top edge or grab the shaft below the flare? And what did you do it with?

First gently try flat screwdriver over the top edge, but be careful as it may crack. I grabbed it the below with 2 hands and forced it down. I know, it did not look like it would move even a little but in the end it did.

Back