Repainting and armrest handle retrofit on 06 interior door panel. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Repainting and armrest handle retrofit on 06 interior door panel.

Explorer_PL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Rockland County, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
06EB V8
I am sure most of you with the camel interior can see the discoloration on the upper part of the door panel caused by the sun and heat. Also, I really like the pocket handles in the armrests on my 07, so I wanted to retrofit same to my 06. I got some handles off eBay from some Subaru and adapted it the the door panels, see below.

Then, I repainted it, and it looks much better.

IMG_8058_zpsze3vpqtm.jpg

IMG_7727_zps8owshzzu.jpg

IMG_8055_zpscrhz8v2f.jpg

IMG_8061_zps3sqnoeox.jpg

IMG_8066_zpsplfpfdr3.jpg

IMG_8068_zpssmmpablm.jpg

IMG_8067_zpsuzcfgcwu.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking good - I can't imagine not having the arm rest grips like my 07 has. I need to paint - thanks for posting the paint you used. I had hoped since only the top of my front panels are discolored that I would be able to just paint the top. There are some strategically placed lines/grooves in the panel that would allow me to do that without having just a tape line. How close is that paint to the OEM color? Does it blend well to your dash with the door closed?

Once again, I'm impressed! I've been meaning to do something similar on mine for about 11 years now... Always something else more urgent comes up

That paint from that vendor is 100% match. I bought same paint from some other company and it was different so stick with ColorBond.

It's really easy to take the door panels off, about 5 minutes for each side - six 7mm bolts.

Then to take the panels apart is another 13 7mm trim screws inside.

Good to hear. I've installed new speakers so I've got door panel removal down.
You've helped me with my rear bearing and now you've handed me the paint I needed.
You're quickly becoming my favorite.

Don't let it go to your head though:chug:

Any info on which model Subaru the cups came from? I've been wanting to do something like this also but cutting the arm rests seemed a bit dicey. Glad it worked out for you!

Eddy-
I'll try :)

I cant begin to imagine what I would do without that on my 07...... where would I store my chapstick

Looks great! If you think that was contrast, my black interior is really faded towards the top from the sun no matter how much 303 I've used. Other than soap and water, is there any prep on the areas before painting?

Not really, I just used warm water and soap and washed it well. I did not realize the black has the same problem. I can imagine the contrast between black and the white burnt out spots. On camel, it's not that transparent i suppose. Just disassemble everything, remove whatever you can and tape it off. I used 1 can for both side, about 6 very light coats.

Thank you for the advice! I'm super tempted by the "Renew" Rustoleum product but this seems more in line with what I want and after seeing the before/after, seems like the work will be rewarded!

I am sure most of you with the camel interior can see the discoloration on the upper part of the door panel caused by the sun and heat. Also, I really like the pocket handles in the armrests on my 07, so I wanted to retrofit same to my 06. I got some handles off eBay from some Subaru and adapted it the the door panels, see below.

Then, I repainted it, and it looks much better.

IMG_8058_zpsze3vpqtm.jpg

IMG_7727_zps8owshzzu.jpg

IMG_8055_zpscrhz8v2f.jpg

IMG_8061_zps3sqnoeox.jpg

IMG_8066_zpsplfpfdr3.jpg

IMG_8068_zpssmmpablm.jpg

IMG_8067_zpsuzcfgcwu.jpg
Love the door cup idea, is it solid and were yoy able to run a screw through it?

It is solid. There is a pin at the bottom that I used to wire (used galvanized wire as a tie) it to the main structure of the panel. Otherwise, you would rip it out of the armrest.

Back