Repair Manual | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Repair Manual

P

Paul Gagnon

I have been struggling with this Haynes manual for quite some time now. It seems that the soccer mom image of the Explorer has even influenced the repair manual writers. There are just too many sections where it tells you that the procedure is to complicated and that you should pay a shop to do the work. I remember when manuals had a procedure for just about everything. One of the worst areas in the Haynes Explorer manual is torque specs. In the trouble shooting section you are just left wondering why there is no writing there.
I bought a Haynes F-150/Bronco manual a few months back and it is often more helpful than the Explorer manual especially in the trouble shooting section, there are other helpful items as well(exploded view of transfer case for example).
Today I was looking for torque specs on the rear differential bearing caps. The Explorer and the F150 manuals make no mention of this part . I am surprised that the new Haynes manuals seem to have so little useful information. I have Haynes manuals for older Saab, Mini, Honda and Mustang and they all had very good information. What happened?

Anyway I found a book today that had the torque specs I was looking for. It is Chilton's 1991-95 Truck and Van. I have not look through the whole thing yet but what I have looked at seemed very good.

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Dead Link Removed

[This message has been edited by Paul Gagnon (edited 04-03-99).]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm using the Chilton's Ranger/Explorer/Mountaineer 1991-97 Manual. It's pretty good on the diagrams and pix, but a little confusing because of the Ranger stuff in there. I'll probably get the CD-ROM of the Service Manual one of these days. Dead Link Removed

I have the same trouble. I am an ASE Certified mechanic and it's hard to find information in the vehicle specific Haynes or Chilton books. I have worked in shops that have had Mitchell On Demand and Shopkey systems on CD Rom and even those are lacking in some areas. At a price of ten grand you would think it would be more complete. The best way to go if you can still get them is to buy the factory repair manuals. Usually have to buy a complete set for the Explorer may be two or three manuals.

I use the Chiltons, It seems to work best for me too.

:D

I know the shop uses the Helm manual but at $200, it's a little beyond my range.

for the older vehicles I use my Chiltons.. for my newer vehicles I use haynes.. and when I wan't "real" advise I borrow a helms..

Recently I have found a set put out by a company called "MOTOR" they have a book for light trucks.. 1992-1996 and it looks very much like the helms book.. and the Library carries it.. I just keep borrowing the same book.

~Mark

I wish Ford provided a comprehesive online repair manual.

Back