repeated clunks in rear under acceleration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

repeated clunks in rear under acceleration

stingray

Reaction score
City, State
NYC
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
Hello all, I searched the forums and cannot find a clunk thread similar to mine.

I have a 98 xlt 4x4. 86k mikes

My Problem:

Rear clunks repeatedly on acceleration sometimes hard to hear. If I hold down the brake and give it some gas...no clunk .... BUT If I hold down the brake and give it gas then allow the truck to move a little I get loud clunks.

While driving the clunks are hardly noticeable, feels like your going over small bumps in the road.. this is only under medium to hard acceleration. no clunks at any other time.

sounds like clunk, ....clunk....,clunk,clunk.....,clunk..etc

I would be really grateful if anyone can help me on this. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey, happy first post!

Is it clank, clank....clank or just clank,.... clank, clank? I'm sorry, just kidding with you, man. :D

Anyway, this might help.

Thanks for your reply, I just went and checked the u bolts and their tight.

2 things to check. First, check your shocks to make sure they aren't shot or broken. Then check the swaybar end links for the same thing.

Finding out the clanks takes time, patience, and sometimes luck. You just gotta keep going at it. One by one, eliminate the possibilities. You'll find it. Good Luck.

check all universals. Thats what it sounds like to me

yeah, i was going to suggest checkin the universal joints. also, check that the pinion bearing in the rear end isnt shot. mine is, and it does a smiilar thing. to check the pinion bearing, see if the yoke (the thingy that connects the driveshaft to the pumpkin) has any up and down freeplay. it should have none, yet mine has almost half an inch of freeplay and it makes a lot of noise and vibrations. also, my buddies ranger does this, and it has something to do with the e-brake cable. we have never looked into fixing it, but it does EXACTLY what you are describing.

if you are hearing the clunk over bumps and the noise goes away when the brakes are applied you should look into the rear brake pads, you do have rear wheel disc right, these trucks have anty rattle clips that are prone to leaving the pad hanging there in the opening. hope this helps!

Geez, if the clunk was coming from the front I would say a bad motor mount, but it sounds like something in the suspension. Does it clunk over bumps?

It does not clunk over bumps, only under acceleration. What I meant was the noise SOUNDS like your going over small bumps when excelerating on a smooth road.

It also does not happen when brakes are applied... what I meant by my first post is: If I stand on the brake and rev up to halfway on the tac it makes no sound because its standing still... as soon as you let a little pressure off the brake so the truck can move a little (under high rpm) it clunks loud.

Thanks for all your responses, Its just driving me crazy ( the sound) plus I dont know if its something expensive to fix.

Checked the calipers yet? Might be loose?

Back