Replace flexplate without draining transmission? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replace flexplate without draining transmission?

monkeybuttons

Reaction score
City, State
Ogden, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Limited
Just wondering if there is a way to replace the flexplate without draining the transmission fluid. I am hoping to just slide the transmission back to access the flexplate and torque converter. Would I have to drain the torque converter before I remove it? Will it drain itself after I remove it?

Sorry for the list of questions, I just want to do the job right the first time (and hope there isn't a second time).

Oh, should I replace the starter at the same time as the flexplate (they grind on each other which is why I'm replacing the flexplate). The starter tested good, but I'm worried the gear on the starter may be getting worn/damaged too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also, my brother told me I should replace the torque converter while I am in there, but that seems a little unnecessary to me. Would it really be a good idea? I just hate to throw money at something that isn't broken.

Thanks for any help.

have you confirmed the flexplate is worn? I'd do that first, you may just need a new starter. Did you starter have spacers? May just need that. Tranny and tc don't need to be drained. tc will drain after pulled and tipped. I wouldn't replace the tc if not causing any problems. tc may be difficult to reinstall if you have limited access.

have you confirmed the flexplate is worn? I'd do that first, you may just need a new starter. Did you starter have spacers? May just need that. Tranny and tc don't need to be drained. tc will drain after pulled and tipped. I wouldn't replace the tc if not causing any problems. tc may be difficult to reinstall if you have limited access.

Thanks for your thoughts. The teeth on the flexplate are most definitely damaged. I took pictures, but they didn't turn out very well.

Would the spacer go between the mounting surfaces on the starter and bell housing? If so, there are no spacers.

Wouldn't a spacer push the starter back (i.e. further away from the flexplate)? About half of each damaged tooth is still present, almost as if the starter is too far away already and only engaging half of the tooth profile. Maybe I don't understand what/where a spacer is and goes.

a spacer would push it further back. some cars use them and I've had to remove them on an engine conversion I did in order to get the starter to engage. Like carlover said, jsut leave the tc in place

I read somewhere in the forum that I should replace the shim between the crank and the flexplate, but there are two shims available at auto parts stores: a 0.050" and a 0.025". Which did the '02 V8 auto come with from the factory? I can't seem to find that information anywhere on the web (or the forum), and I would like to have the part on hand when I start the project.

Thanks for all the help so far! You guys rock!

buy both, return one

:thumbsup:

I like the idea, but they aren't a stock listed item at my local auto parts store. However, I called them and they can get it that day if it's before 2 or 3 p.m. (I don't remember which) and a weekday.

Thanks guys! I'm feeling much better about things. I ordered my parts and they are on the way.

Back