Replaced Both Front Sway Links

Bill #5 Explorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
At just over 113,300 miles, this repair needed to be done to eliminate a rattle up front. Don't know how they were damaged, I don't do any off-road, but this can result from a pot holes, speed bump, deep snow & ice (brutal winter this past year), stuff like that.

Repair was very fast. About a 1/2 hour.

$194.89

Sway Link- FMC BB5Z 5K483 A $36.44
Sway Link- SPO BB5Z 5K484 A $36.44
1 Labor unit at $116.00

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My right front failed at about 25,000 miles. No known reason. I had a big "thunk" that would occur when going over small road imperfections.

The part was about $35 and it took longer to jack the front end off and remove the wheel than it did to replace the link. IIRC, one nut was a PITA to remove due to proximity to another part of the vehicle. Other one came off with an impact without problem.

Having a problem with my right side sway bar link for the third time on my 2013 Explorer XLT. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this before.

Thanks

Had my X in for a rattle in the front end. Sway bar. Apparently there's none in the system and they don't know when they'll be available. Lol. Breaks were also dragging and they had to order those in. A simple break job has now turned into a week without my vehicle.

Dealer only warranty? Can't use aftermarket end links?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1503808,parttype,7580

Exactly this! I'd go aftermarket if OEM weren't available. A lot of times quality Aftermarket parts are better/beefier/stronger than anything OEM... I'd just order a pair and have the dealer install them or do it myself OP. I'd see if the Dealer could subtract the price of the OEM sway bar links from the bill since you would be using quality aftermarket parts. That's if this is a warranty issue that is...

Sway bar links

When have most of you replaced the front and rear sway bar links? Do these have the same wanky design as the edge where you use an Allen key and a box end to remove the bolt? If so, I will cut them off. Those are a pain.

Any experience with Moog Parts? They work great on my wife's Edge.

Thanks!
Shumax

Is there a how-to that I have not located on how to replace the FRONT sway bar links on a 2011 Ford Exploder? There are a ton of how-to's for the prior generation. Nothing I can find for the 2011.

Thanks!
Shumax

Thank you. That is a good start!

Ordered a pair of Moog with grease zerts hopefully to remedy the popping sound we're getting. Its definitely more of a pop than a clunk. Wife was able to do it in our driveway by turning left slowly about 1/2 a full turn. I've replaced these before on my Saab with 2 thin open end wrenches/impact on outer nut if needed to break it free initially. Similar deal here on the 13? For as cheap as they were, even if that doesn't take of care of it ya know.....115K though. Thanks

Back