replaced headlight bulb... won't stay in now | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

replaced headlight bulb... won't stay in now

Hey guys,

so I had a headlight bulb burn out... I pulled it out, switched the bulb with a new one, but now the little ring that the bulb goes through that holds it securely in the headlight housing will not fit back on. It has the little grooves that should fit easily around it and lock back on, but it feels like it doesn't have enough room anymore to actually get all the way on and lock in place. I had one new bulb actually break because it started slipped out while driving and the glass must have bumped around and broken. any advice? thanks!

Ah, good old 9007 bulbs..

The bulb has tabs, they have to line up in there exactly in those tabs, and that bulb is a tight fit on stock housings..
My trick was to put a bit of grease on the little rubber ring on the bulb, that helped get it in there. Once it's in right, the retainer ring goes on very easy. :)

The bulb has tabs, they have to line up in there exactly in those tabs, and that bulb is a tight fit on stock housings..
My trick was to put a bit of grease on the little rubber ring on the bulb, that helped get it in there. Once it's in right, the retainer ring goes on very easy. :)

got it! yeah, I believe I had the tabs all in there correctly but was still having some issues. I will double check again and maybe throw a little grease on there and hopefully be done with it! Thanks!

So I went back out today and felt around the headlight housing and felt the tabs on it and I see where they should fit into the open spaces on the plastic portion of the bulb. But I still cannot get it in there. I am lining up the tabs and pushing it in, but it is not fitting... Do I just need to find a way to get more leverage? It's hard to get much in that real tight space but I'm not having any luch getting it to fit

The tabs are actually a bit off and the bulb will only go in one particular way.
You're best bet is to just keep trying, make sure it's a 9007 Bulb and not a 9004 as well.

Back