Replaced Wheel Bearing Still Noisy | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replaced Wheel Bearing Still Noisy

How many miles did you have on your Explorer???

65,000 miles. I am third owner. I have no idea what was done previously.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well $40 for the bearing (had $20 reward on autozone card), $55 to have it pressed on/off, a little blood and alot of cursing and she's quieter than ever. Almost too quiet. Just hit 100k today and rides like new.

Is your vehicle a 4x4?

I have a 4x4 where I replaced both frot wheel hub bearings. Still had noise and replaced RR axle bearing. Still heard noise. Had to overhaul the front diff. New carrier and pinion bearings.

All quiet now.
How many miles did you have on your Explorer???

I have a 2009 eb ford explorer. have changed the front bearings, and within a few weeks, got this hum noise. the steering is sound, and the humming noise is louder in the morning, and less after the heat of the afternoon. the noise continues if i put the car in neutral at city speeds. CV joint? Bad replacement bearing?

I have a 2009 eb ford explorer. have changed the front bearings, and within a few weeks, got this hum noise. the steering is sound, and the humming noise is louder in the morning, and less after the heat of the afternoon. the noise continues if i put the car in neutral at city speeds. CV joint? Bad replacement bearing?
Forgot to mention that there is no play on ball joints, when up on the lift, and have had it looked at twice.They ran it in gear and 4 wheel, but then no weight on it. no real thoughts on the problem. don't want to do "try this", oh, ... and "this, and let's try this"...?
any thoughts?

Mileage?

Does the humming sound the same as before when you had bad front bearings?

You have bearings on the rear also.

Mileage?

Different noise. steady hum. not like the bearings which were not noisy, but just starting to get play. noise seems to be in the front driver side. going to get tranny fluid changed today, but not the problem. hum stays steady with the car rolling in neutral at 50k or more.

Mileage?

Different noise. steady hum. not like the bearings which were not noisy, but just starting to get play. noise seems to be in the front driver side. going to get tranny fluid changed today, but not the problem. hum stays steady with the car rolling in neutral at 50k or more.

Like we have seen on this forum many times: transfer case, driveshafts, u joints, differentials, worn tires, bad alignment ....

The list goes on.

Sometimes very hard to pin point and need to let it get really bad or pay a shop to find it using some listening devices (Chassis Ear).

Back