• Register Today It's free!

Replacement engine

Josef161

Reaction score
City, State
Kissimmee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005, Explorer xls
Hello, i am worried about the timing chain in my 4.0 liter SOHC, so i wonder what i should consider if i want to put in a used non-refurbished/reman engine? And are engines still good if the donor car has been totaled in an accident?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello, i am worried about the timing chain in my 4.0 liter SOHC, so i wonder what i should consider if i want to put in a used non-refurbished/reman engine? And are engines still good if the donor car has been totaled in an accident?
Depends how big of an accident an accident can be really rough on the internals of an engine and transmission and just about everything else. Only way to know for sure is hear it run and or rip it apart. And with these third gens theres alot in the junkyard just from failed transmissions so I’d think one of those would be your best bet on a guaranteed running engine over one previously in a collision.

Also chances are the junkyard or auction place selling the engine will have it so you can see it running before you purchase that’s been my experience at least when I’ve tagged along

Also chances are the junkyard or auction place selling the engine will have it so you can see it running before you purchase that’s been my experience at least when I’ve tagged along

Thank you. I just found out that the u-pick & pay near me has 5 explorer if the 3rd gen. So i guess one of those should be running. Do you know how much a mechanic would charge for pulling it and putting it in my vehicle? Or is it possible for to do thr work myself?

The second option would be to buy a reman. Engine at auto zone they have one that comes with 4 yrs warranty for $1300.

Thank you. I just found out that the u-pick & pay near me has 5 explorer if the 3rd gen. So i guess one of those should be running. Do you know how much a mechanic would charge for pulling it and putting it in my vehicle? Or is it possible for to do thr work myself?

The second option would be to buy a reman. Engine at auto zone they have one that comes with 4 yrs warranty for $1300.
A Reman engine with a 4 year warranty sounds like a pretty good deal also I’m not sure about how much it would be for a mechanic to pull and put it in but I’m sure atleast a grand also I mean if you think your capable of doing it it’s more or less removing everything from the engine bay hoisting it out with an engine jack after unbolting from the transmission. That will also require pulling the entire y pipe off aswell as many other things I’m sure I missed it’s a hard job for sure

I installed a remanufactured engine worked out great

I'm curious about the Rebuilt Engine you mentioned from Autozone. I've been looking for a lower miled junk yard engine for a couple of weeks, but at that price, I would probably get the rebuilt one. That said, when I check Autozone's website, I don't see anything for less than $3000.

Thanks,
Jake

You will save a grand by buying direct from the manufacturers
dahmer powertrain
powertrain products
And others
Cost me 3k Inc the $600 core which you will get back
Shipping Inc both ways

The one from dahmer is more complete ...oil pan timing cover etc..

My mistake, i googled the engine and the engine from autozone showed up (it's a long block not an engine) but yesterday i saw that it is a ford engine but doesn't fit the explorer.

I probably will take a junkyard engine too, how much are they in your area?

In my arena
I'm not sure I never bought one
Just because of the problematic Timing components
I didn't want to worry
And a 100k 3 year warranty is nice

Changing timing chains and guides cost about the same when done right
Ask how I know
@koda2000 just did that job maybe he will chime in

From my searches, anything with less than 150k on it is going for around $1200 on up. I'm kind of leary of some of the higher mileage engines due to the timing chain issues. You may already know about it, but car-part.com will let you search junk yards nationwide.

The issue with mine is a head gasket, so I might throw one more bottle of head gasket repair at it before I spend that much on a replacement engine.

Thanks,
Jake

Thanks for thr advice. Yes here most junk yard engines are around 1000-1200. The thing is, how can i check if they say the truth about the milage? I also think about getting an engine from a u-pull yard, there i can check the oil and i also if if it was in an accident/in what kind of accident... Dors anyome have experiance with u-pull yards (here they charge only $250-300 for an engine).
Oh on car-parts.com i found an engine for $500 but they dont offer a warranty at all, i think that's too risky.

If i was you i also would try another bottle of head gasket fix (if you don't intend to get it fixed at all).

I know this is a two years old posting, but while the "new" motor is out of the vehicle, why not replace the timing components. It's a damn site EASIER and CHEAPER NOW, than having to pull the motor AGAIN to do it down the road .

Back