Replacement struts - 2016 PIU - and other musings | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacement struts - 2016 PIU - and other musings

gw2002

Reaction score
City, State
Rockville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 PIU
Trying to find the one-for-one replacement for my 2016 PIU's front strut assemblies. Entered my VIN on a Ford parts OEM website and I see two options for a left strut:

-Suspension Strut FB5Z-18124-E - Left 3.7L without rough road. Police interceptor.
-Suspension Strut FB5Z-18124-G Explorer. 3.7l. Left. With rough road. Police interceptor. Non-painted calipers. 3.5L turbo, without hd brakes to 12/07/2016.

The first one is twice as much as the second one (neither is very expensive). What does rough road mean, and why is it half the price of the "non" rough-road?

What's the right one? I have a 3.7L flex engine.

While I'm talking about it, other than the sway bar links and the struts, what would you recommend to replace to make the steering less shaky and bumpy?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Trying to find the one-for-one replacement for my 2016 PIU's front strut assemblies. Entered my VIN on a Ford parts OEM website and I see two options for a left strut:

-Suspension Strut FB5Z-18124-E - Left 3.7L without rough road. Police interceptor.
-Suspension Strut FB5Z-18124-G Explorer. 3.7l. Left. With rough road. Police interceptor. Non-painted calipers. 3.5L turbo, without hd brakes to 12/07/2016.

The first one is twice as much as the second one (neither is very expensive). What does rough road mean, and why is it half the price of the "non" rough-road?

What's the right one? I have a 3.7L flex engine.

While I'm talking about it, other than the sway bar links and the struts, what would you recommend to replace to make the steering less shaky and bumpy?
Get new strut mounts with struts. Waste without. All motorcraft parts.

Also have you taken it to a mechanic? Might be loose ball joints or tie rod eyes.

Rock auto has the motorcraft struts and I tried KYB strut tops and they failed right where the strut bolts up to them. Ordered the motorcraft strut tops from a online Ford parts store And everything is good again.

all good - changed struts and sway bar links. Still have a VERY rough ride up front. Maybe that's just how the PIUs drive....

all good - changed struts and sway bar links. Still have a VERY rough ride up front. Maybe that's just how the PIUs drive....
Maybe manually check your tire pressure. One time I bought a Cadillac. TPMS said it had 36 psi. I kept taking it to the dealership complaining of a rough ride. After 3 times, they finally noticed the tire pressure was actually at 20. It cupped all 4 tires, and damaged my suspension by the time I figured it out.

Back