• Register Today It's free!

Replacing Brake Line Question

duke16

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0L AWD XLT
The brake line to my drivers side rear wheel has developed a leak. When replacing it, does the line run directly from the rubber hose at the caliper all the way to the front of the vehicle? It's running too close to the gas tank for me to see what's actually going on.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Correct. The front wheels each have their own line to the master cylinder. The rear is a little different. There is a line going from the passengers rear to the drivers rear, then to the master cylinder.

If i were you i would replace both rear lines. Dont worry about following the same path the old line took, or ever removing the entire old line fro that matter. Just make sure the new line is protected a little by the frame or brackets or whatever path is easiest to follow.

Brake replacement and line bleed videos in the link in my signature. Thanks!

Looks like it's one continuous piece actually.

Does anyone know the length required? I'll probably just leave the old line in place, and run something new parallel.

From the MC to the drivers left I believe its right around 10 feet. Id tack on another 4 feet if you do the passengers rear as well. Dont forget the adapters to connect the lines together.

I just did mine a few weeks ago. It was a GEN1 but should be similar. I replaced the entire line along the Frame Rail just short of the RABS Module. Your vehicle won't have old since it is a GEN2. I dropped the Tank down about 8 inches so I could use the existing Brake Line Clips. Make sure you use a good Double-Flaring Tool (Snap-ON, etc.) to get a good Double-Flare if you Splice to the existing line with the 3/16" Brake Tubing.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316121

You will have to make Union Connection somewhere between your Flexible Rear Brake Line Splitter and the ABS Unit or Master Cylinder. I was thinking you were replacing just the damage section of Brake Line. :hammer:

You will have to make Union Connection somewhere between your Flexible Rear Brake Line Splitter and the ABS Unit or Master Cylinder. I was thinking you were replacing just the damage section of Brake Line. :hammer:

I was just going to run a completely new line, from the rear caliper all the way to the ABS unit. It all looks pretty rusty to me.

Is it possible to lower the gas tank to the point where I can access the brake line without having to disconnect anything from/to the tank?

I had the same problem about a month ago. I ran a solid line from the ABS pump to the rear of the truck...getting it past the tank can be tricky but there is room to get it through. Ford even left empty clips so you don't have to remove the old line. While your in there it may be a good idea to replace the line from the frame to the axle.

Back