Replacing engine fan with electric one, MPG increase? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing engine fan with electric one, MPG increase?

I am using the fan and shroud from a 1992 Buick Century. I chose it at the time because it fit the space constraints as well as being quiet.

The Explorer goes from 40 degrees to about 70-75 degree A/C output in slow speed traffic, with engine temps ranging from 210 to 240 when it's 100 degrees ambient as observed on the overhead console.

With the clutch fan, engine never gets over 205, a/c output stays around 40-50 degrees in stop and go traffic.

This is my e-fan. I made a bracket that fits on the bottom and it sits across the lower clips that hold the fan shroud on, the top bolts to existing holes in the top core reinforcement. Covers about 70% of the surface area. I have no idea what the CFM is.

It's 17.5 inches across.

Attachments

• Inbox.jpg
    Inbox.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 697

you should try a early 90's ford taurus fan

Just filled up the X today, 297 miles on 19.7 gallons of gas = 15.1mpg with the clutch fan.

So I dropped from an average of 17.5 doing pretty much the same driving I do every week, a 30 mile round trip commute, about 70% city street driving. Daily average high temperature was 96 degrees, supposed to have gotten to 101 today.

Just for grins, I checked 0-60 time with the fan clutch fully engaged and it took a leisurely 12 seconds (the 1-mississippi method) the e-fan takes about 10~11 seconds using same method.

So I get an extra 40 miles driving with the e-fan than the clutch fan.

I think 17.5 mpg is not too shabby for an elderly OHV 4.0 (232,000 miles, just had gaskets) and the somewhat obsolete EEC-IV

Back