• Register Today It's free!

replacing fuel pump

redneckguy77

Reaction score
City, State
oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT
i got a 1996 explorer that will turn over but will not fire and I'm 99% sure it is the fuel pump how hard is it to replace it.

Not TOO hard. I had a hard time with a few things, but that may have just been mine. Get a Haynes manual as it will walk you through step by step. One tip, though. For the fuel line disconnect tools, get the metal ones. The plastic ones wouldn't do crap for mine and they both broke. I ended up having to cut the tubes from the top of the old fuel pump so I could get the tank down and then remove the remaining pieces from the fuel lines. Also, I ended up cutting the filler neck, the rubber tubes from the fill spout to the tank, because the hose clamps were so bad and at an angle that I couldn't get to them. I don't recommend this unless you have already found a replacement. None of the part stores around here carried a replacement and I ended up having to get a new one at the junk yard. Luckily, the last explorer in the yard had one. All the rest had been cut when someone removed the tank. It may even be worth cutting a hole in the floor, as some other people on the board have done.

Back