replacing governer - do you have to drain oil in tranny? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

replacing governer - do you have to drain oil in tranny?

hillman

Reaction score
City, State
campbellriver vancouver island b.c.
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt
when cleaning or replacing the governor on a 94 explorer 4x4 a4ld tranny do you have to drain the oil out of the transmission when you take off the transfer case? and any good hints on cleaning the governor or what to clean it with and do you have to take off the vibration dampner on the transfer case when removing it? any suggestions would be helpful.

thank you
hillman

the procedure is shown in Glacier's A4LD tranny rebuild section. sorry, I don't have the link to that section memorized and it's quite a long read to find it.

but, remove the transfer case and you will find the governor attached by two10mm headed bolts. You will lose some fluid (not much) from the tailhousing as you remove the transfer case and no, you don't have to remove the tranny pan.

I cleaned my governor parts with scotchbrite, made sure nothing was sticking and put it back in. solved my cold 1 - 2 upshift problem. notice the spring location and put it back, too.

......jjf

Back