Replacing headliner and roof problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing headliner and roof problems

Bmwz389

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
So I decided to pull my headliner and replace the fabric on it. I understand how to do that so that's not my concern.

What my big problem is, is that I look at the inner roof supports and you can tell that the suppports used to mesh with the roof skin, but they don't touch anymore. So its har to believe that the supports have bent. So it's either the roof skin has flexed away from its original position, or the foam filler has flattened out. Here's a picture:

l_899d3aea1efceb2e15086b52ebbc46b1.png

Also, the rivets on the roof rack design trim leak, and I wanna replace them. I know how to replace them all I need to know is what size the rivets are, or if they are some kind of special gasket-rivets. I heard something about that, that's why I ask.

Also, for the overhead light, there is a space there as well, I'm assuming it's sagged after a while, because my light sags away from the headliner. Is that true?

Hopefully someone can help me with this, as my entire truck is ripped apart right now lol.

Thanks alot guys!!

- Brandon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your picture isn't viewable unless you are already signed into facebook.

From the pic, I would assume the foam gave. I believe there is some gap between the roof & rig that sucks up noise. But I have not yanked my roof off to find out.
By the way.... nasty way to treat nice speakers with the bungee cord :)
Peace
Walter

I just ran and took a pic it will be up in a second

Here you go man. Mine look the same

Roof-Pic.jpg

Here is a pick of my roof. The supports don't directly contact the roof (just not as apparent as in both pictures above).
18205104_0422_web.jpg

Haha yeah I know but it was the only way to keep the panels away from ripping the headliner as I pulled it out. It was just the grilles for the speakers, they are solid lol. So it didn't hurt anything =)

And Burns, does your roof seem warped outside? Because I see in the 3rd sub-support rail that the right side is still ungapped and the other side is gapped. If it isn't warped, that means the foam just fills the gap. I notice that alot of my rattle comes from the roof excursioning because it didn't seem supported. The rest of it comes from the loose rivets and loose trim.

So if DeRocha slightly contacts then I could get some foam strips or somethin from a parts store to fill the gap, it might absorb some of the rattle possibly?

It almost seems as if DeRocha's rails round off? It looks like they bow a bit.

Lol, I'm not really sure.

?

Sorry I just have no idea what to do with it, so I'm waitin on others lol.

Brandon

Really need to know guys lol. The headliner is done and ready lol.

Go to a local auto body supply/paint store with your pics and see what they recommend. Can't see where anything's tweaked and it's not uncommon to see the adhesive disappear. Personally, i'd be down at Home Depot buying a can of Great Stuff Gaps and Cracks filler.

Yeah see that's what I figured I'd end up doing. I tested how the roof looked with the roof skin flat against the sub supports, and it kinks at where the first design grooves start, so from there I knew it wasn't supposed to lay flat, it must have been the filler shrinking...I checked that yesterday lol.

So, no matter what, I'll get rid of some vibration and noise by filling the gap between those as the vibrations will dissipate into the foam. Not all of it but some haha.

So thanks for the help guys!!!!

- Brandon

One more question lol.

I read another post that Alaskan posted. He just layed his new fabric over the old. He hasn't gotten back to me if it's held up or not, so does anyone else know???

It's all ready to be worked on, this is the last thing lol.

Ok guys. I finished it the other day. And let me tell you....It looks amazing!

I ended up using Great Stuff: Big Gap Filler, it expands 3 times the size of it's spray. I used it to fill the gap between the roof rails and the roof skin, and I sealed the rivets with waterproof silicon to make sure when the rivets rattle loose it keeps the water out.

The rattle has basically quit, there is barely any rattle coming out of the truck now, the doors slam with a good thud instead of a ting now =)

I used a adhesive spray that the upholstery shop recommended and it worked amazing, the job went smooth and the color I used matched perfect!

If anyone wants to see pictures I'll post them =)

Thanks again for everything guys!

- Brandon

Glad to hear it worked out well. Post up your pictures and the adhesive you used so that someone else coming across this thread will have the info to tackle the job as you have done.. :)

Back