Replacing Multifunction Switch | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing Multifunction Switch

I found the Ford component testing procedure for testing the wiper functions of the MFS and both the MFS I took out of the truck and the one I got from the junkyard test within spec.

I also purchased the "1997 Explorer Mountaineer Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual" on Amazon and it arrived today. I am going to work through the schematic to determine where the system is failing before I replace anymore components. I have tested the two wiper motor relays and they work fine.

The biggest problem I have is the intermittent nature of the glitch. Naturally, when I am testing, everything works fine.

I will post more when I know more.

HELP. I have a 2001 Ranger XLT, I've removed the 3 screws from the shrouds, and unscrewed the steering-wheel height adjust lever (notably missing from Al's original steps above!), and I cannot get the blasted top shroud off. I really did not want to have to undo the rest of the dash trim, because I don't have the right socket (7mm). How much can I pull/twist the upper shroud without busting the durn thing? Or is there a trick to wedging it off?

I don't think there is a "trick". You just have to fight with it, but it will come out. It is a real pain though, and just as bad going back in. Tilt the column down, though it doesn't help much. You can flex it a fair amount. You have to kind of pry the sides out and up at the same time you are pulling it forward. It seems like it will never clear, but it will flex enough to come out.

In the service manual, I believe it was, it says to remove the ignition cylinder. While that is easy to do (there is a recessed button on the bottom to press and it comes right out), I didn't really find that it would help much, if at all.

I had to fight with mine for a long time before I got it out. Keep at it and slowly work it out of there. Eventually you will get it.

If you are going after the MFS, be careful of two things. First, the plastic clips on the wire harness connectors will snap off VERY easily. Be really careful to not break these when trying to disconnect them -- you don't want those connections shaking loose due to a broken connector. Second, be careful when shoving that top cover back in that it doesn't snag or damage the wires around the top. It's easy to hook the wires when wrestling the cover back in if any of the wire is sticking up at all.

Hopefully you have the right replacement switch. The one I got (which was listed for this vehicle) looked right, but didn't work right. Most things were fine, but the wipers went bezerk, going to high speed and not turning off until you pulled the battery cable. Seems this newer replacement had some updates that weren't really compatible. I ended up using parts form the new switch to repair the broken parts of the old switch, but I had to take it all back apart to do it. I strongly recommend you check all the functionality before putting all the covers back on.

Was experiencing the buzz, phantom wipers, and smoke. Just replaced it today and it only took 20 min. Hopefully this will do the trick. Thanks for the write up!

Back