Replacing shackles, can't get the last bolt out | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing shackles, can't get the last bolt out

Wakeboy1337

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Pierce, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
I've got my brand new shackle in on the right side.

The left has been fighting a little more however.
I've got the old shackle out, there wasnt really much of one left to take out. I have the bolt and nut removed from the leaf spring aswell. I've also got the nut off of the frame bolt(top bolt).

What I cannot do is hammer it out. I've tried prying it under the head and banging on the other side with my mini sledge. I've put a picklefork under the head and bang on it more and it still wont budge. It's soaked in blaster and has been for about 4 days. I dont have a compressor so an air hammer isnt going to do me any good. What else can I try?:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You might try grinding off the bolt head (on the spare side of the shackle), dropping the spare and whacking it from the spare hole. You can get more leverage from there.

My 2c worth.

BTW, I made sure that I could loosen all the nuts and move the bolts before I replaced a shackle.

Someone put dual exhaust out the back of mine, so the tip is in the way of hitting it with the hammer well on that side. Besides, I'm removing the that piece that blocks you from hammering at the fender, so I bent it up out of the way. If I could borrow a torch, would that do the trick?

Torch

Try cutting the head of the bolt off and then push it back the other way.

Torch

Try cutting the head of the bolt off and then push it back the other way.
I cut the bottom of body trim so I could get leverage and cut the bolt heads off and held the punch and trusted my buddy to whack it out while I held it

Back