Replacing Struts – anything else I should replace while I’m there? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing Struts – anything else I should replace while I’m there?

2000co

Reaction score
City, State
Englewood, co
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Mountaineer V6 AWD
I'm going to replace all 4 struts since they are leaking. Truck have 120K miles on it so it's time.
Any warnings or suggestions you have?
Should I replace other parts while I’m doing the job? Like sway bar links. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just prepare a sway bar end links if you have difficulty removing them, they become rusted that the only way to get them out is by cutting them. I still have the original rear end links at 155k. last time I did the replacement on the rears they come off easily and the bushings are still ok. the fronts were broken due to rust and the replacement moogs are starting to rust too.

prepare yourself for that driver side lower shock bolt on the front, most of us here has issues taking that off.

I'm assuming you are doing complete assemblies, not just the struts. If so, you will likely end up having to release the Upper Control Arm and ball joints, so you may find it advantageous to replace the UCA's and ball joints now, if they are still factory stock with 120k miles. you can get the UCA's with ball joints already installed for $40 or less on rockauto or other parts websites as well.

On the fronts, I wish I had done this, it would have been much easier to do both of them at the same time. I ended up replacing all of it anyway, over a few weeks time, but it would have much easier to just do the UCA's and strut assemblies at the same time, since they are in the way of each other.

Yes what he said. ^^^^^

Be prepared when you go to loosen the driver side front lower strut mounting bolt that it may be seized. I suggest trying it first to see if you are able to loosen the bolt head from the nut on that lower mount. If you break the torque and then are able to loosen the bolt several turns and it starts to come off you are home free. If you start loosening it and the bolt starts to spring back then yours is fused to the strut sleeve bushing and you will end up having to cut it. Major pain so figure this out early in your project. Several posts on here to help guide you on that. Good luck!

Great advice, thanks

Back