Replacing the Frame/Body mount bushings - how? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing the Frame/Body mount bushings - how?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

EDIT- The 4009 bushing kit contents have changed. Do NOT order for the ST.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3168845&postcount=54

You're correct Brent. Appears the old 4009 kit with 24 bushings
contains everything used in the new 4015 ST kit with 14 bushings.
Interesting that you get ten extra bushings for the SAME price.
Nothing "new" other than repackaging and rewritten instructions. :thumbdwn:

See "In The Box" Contents:
www.daystarsuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=KF04009BK

You're correct Brent. Appears the old 4009 kit with 24 bushings
contains everything used in the new 4015 ST kit with 14 bushings.
Interesting that you get ten extra bushings for the SAME price.
Nothing "new" other than repackaging and rewritten instructions. :thumbdwn:

See "In The Box" Contents:
www.daystarsuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=KF04009BK

Yea kind of funny pretty much right around the same price and you get more bushings. And why is it considered "special order". Hey at least i have extras if i ever needed them.

i have the exact same problem maybe we need to say something to ford lol im a texas boy to

I need to reaplce mine also does this kit come with the threaded bushing Im sure mine will be seized as they contain alot of rust on the bottoms and are crumbling please let me know thanks

Maybe make your own?
Make Your Own Motor Mounts
I'm thinking about trying to form and pour these in place.
Edit: I never tried this. I paid a shop to install urethane bushings.

My 2003 sport trac body mounts are the same way, only 69000 miles. Thinking about replacing them with the daystar polyurathane mounts? I priced them today for about 149.00. I'll let you know how it goes.

My 2003 sport trac body mounts are the same way, only 69000 miles. Thinking about replacing them with the daystar polyurathane mounts? I priced them today for about 149.00. I'll let you know how it goes.

I still don't see how they came up w/ that name on Amazon- jack grabbers

Don't wait too long if you want them. See post #29 and #30 in the first link above. You snooze, you lose. :( LOL

^ Use the Prothane 6116 poly kit. Less expensive than the Daystar 4015 and better fit. Excellent sticky linked below.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=404608

Typical for Amazon to give a wrong description or fitment, but the correct ST kit at a great price if you don't mind red.
http://www.amazon.com/Prothane-6-116-Jack-Grabber/dp/B00BU7UU02

I just installed these in my '01 ST. Very happy with them so far. I found the rear-most OE mounts are made of a different material and didn't need to be replaced. Tools required (to make it relatively easy) are a torch, a pipe wrench and an impact wrench, 18mm, 15mm and 13mm sockets, long extension for the rad core nuts, a medium sized punch, hammer, floor jacks some wooden 4x4 blocks and a torque wrench. The Prothane mounts come with instructions on how to proceed and fit perfectly.
115_0092_zpselicqcgi.jpg

BTW, Torque ispec s 41 foot lbs for the rad core bolts and 59 foot lbs for the body bolts.

2002 Sport Trac body bushings

Just bought a 2002 sport trac and noticed that nearly all the body mount bushings are rotted off,,,found a set of Prothane bushings that should work,,wondering if these will have a big difference in how the vehicle will ride since the factory ones are black rubber and some of the others are made of some firm type of foam material that decomposes rather quickly,,read somewhere that a supplier to Ford went cheap and made them out of substandard materials therefore the quick rot symptoms,,,2008 ford superduty had same crappy bushings!!! Any input, tips, comments will be appreciated,,,thanks

I recently installed the Prophane bushing on my '01 ST. Bought them off Amazon with my points. The "B" and "C" body mount bushings from the factory are some kind of foam. They ALWAYS rot away. The "A" bushings are rubber and last pretty well and the "D" bushings are urethane and hold up very well.

I changed the "A", "B" and "C" bushings and left the "D" bushing alone. Huge improvement in ride and my doors now close properly. The bushings I purchased were red, but I understand they are also available in black (I couldn't care less what color they are). Very happy with them.

If your truck has a lot of rust underneath I image changing the bushings will be hard to do. I had no rust and I'd rate the job "5-wrenches". It's pretty straight forward. Once you've do it you'll be an expert. It is very important to torque the new bushings to factory specs (41 FP for the "A" and 59 FP for the others) which may seem like a lot, but they'll make noise if you don't.

Tools Needed:
Floor jacks, safety stands and blocks of wood
Torch
BFH
Penetrant
Impact wrench
Medium sized pipe wrench
18MM, 15mm, 14MM and 10MM sockets and several long extensions
Blue Loctite for reassembly
Torque wrench

Getting the parking brake cable out of the way of the left front "B" bushing is a PITA until you figure out the trick to it.

Thanks

Thanks Koda! I consider myself an advanced shade tree mechanic and now really do not see any big obstacle other than having a bolt frozen beyond the persuasion of rust penetrant and heat from torch,,,do not have a floor jack but I can improvise

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Koda! I consider myself an advanced shade tree mechanic and now really do not see any big obstacle other than having a bolt frozen beyond the persuasion of rust penetrant and heat from torch,,,do not have a floor jack but I can improvise

Your going to need 2 jacks to lift and support the body to remove/install the metal parts of the bushing. Floor jacks work best. The "B" and "C" bolts are accessed through the interior and seat removal is necessary. Heat is necessary to remove the bolts as the thread locker must be first heated. I don't know if this job can be done w/out a good impact wrench. Good luck.

Back