Replacing the Frame/Body mount bushings - how? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing the Frame/Body mount bushings - how?

The problem was getting that rear bolt loose (under the subwoofer in a ST). I had not way to attach my vice grips to keep the bottom lip of the lower bushing from spinning. Even with the front 3 bolts out, I still could not jack the body up high enough to get the old bushing "skeleton" out, which also means that I darn sure couldn't get the new bushing IN.

Off to the local shop tomorrow morning. I'm curious as to what they'll charge me. I already have the passenger seat out, and have removed both kick panels and both pillar covers. Hopefully they will work with me a little on the labor.

I'll report when done.

CMOS

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

whats with the light?......are they wheelie lights........j/k

Hey All,

My 2001 ST has been giving me some very interesting creaking and moaning noises ever since I bought it used. The noise is location specific. I found that some of the frame/body mounting bushings are rotted so bad that they're almost non-existent.

Need to replace the pair under the front floorboards, about where the feet of the driver and passenger are, and the next rearward pair sort of under the back seat areas.

How do I replace these? It looks like I'll need to pull up the flooring to access the bolt heads?

Thanks for your help.

CMOS
I've got the same exact problem. I cannot believe these bushings are made from some lame foam like material. They are disintegrated. And its not like I'm in the great white north for craps sake...I live in Austin TX. Hum, maybe its the heat. :) I take good care of my ST Exploder. (already had to replace the tranny at 80k) Pathetic Ford.

The frame mount bushings in the front and rear of the cab are a rubber substance and they appear to be in much better shape. I'll read on in this thread for sure.

Even dumber - the new bushings look to be made of the same material as the old ones. Go figure.

I would think there would be a TSB on these rotting bushings that would have provoked a change in materials.

Good luck.

BTW, the local shop charged me about $250 bucks to replace these 4 bushings = money very well spent. I have no complaints about what they charged me considering what went through trying to get them out.

CMOS

Do you have any knowlege of replaceing the body mounts on your 02 sport trac?

Body mount bushings

Hi, i have a sport trac 03 and i have the same problem, i am the 1st onwer, and i have not done any lifting to it, anyway i was wandering if anyone knows where could i get the Body mount bushings, or/ and if anyone has a recommendation for better ones,
Thank you

I have not remove any on a ST but they look to be quite similar to F150 bushings which I've never heard complaints about. Might get someone at the dealership to compare the two, if you find someone who stocks them both and will take the time to please a customer.

Hunt around here, someone has replaced theirs with a polyurethane aftermarket version, a little shorter I gather.

me and my buddy are putting in a 3" body lift stupidly we put wd-40 on the body mount bolts and now they spin going to try and heat then and let you know if that works?

Deteriorated bushings here too...

I've got an '02 Sport 2WD and this year the thing started sounding like it was falling apart. First found the 2 rearmost bushing were pretty much GONE, like dry-rotted foam or something. They literally crumble to dust when you touch them. After checking the rest, ALL 10 of them are like that, with the front 2 being in the best condition out of the bunch. I can't imagine what they were made out of to begin with. They certainly don't look like ANY kind of urethane. Any how, I was hoping they wouldn't be TOO much trouble to change, but discouraged after reading this post. They're definitely the originals as this is a one owner truck.

I've got an '02 Sport 2WD and this year the thing started sounding like it was falling apart. First found the 2 rearmost bushing were pretty much GONE, like dry-rotted foam or something. They literally crumble to dust when you touch them. After checking the rest, ALL 10 of them are like that, with the front 2 being in the best condition out of the bunch. I can't imagine what they were made out of to begin with. They certainly don't look like ANY kind of urethane. Any how, I was hoping they wouldn't be TOO much trouble to change, but discouraged after reading this post. They're definitely the originals as this is a one owner truck.

Welcome, and yes they can be a pain(usually are). It's often best to find an off road type shop that has done body bushings a lot. They are made from a rubber bonded to the steel threaded parts. The threaded pieces usually don't unthread due to corrosion. It takes special care/tools/effort to get them to come apart, thus the suggestion to find a shop. Regards,

Where can i get these online? And would you go with OEM Ford or aftermarket ones?

I have been told to use Ford product by my nephew who is a Ford Tech. Not something I want to tackle my self. You need to lift the body up to remove and replace. Good Luck! I am still waiting for the extra cash to have this done. estimate from $600.00 to $800.00.

Yea you ain't kidding. I called the local Ford dealer and priced em out, $60 per bushing and i believe theres 12 so $720. Thats insane. I just wanted to replace them when the body lift goes on.

Replaced all of my body mounts when I put my body lift on, the front three cab mounts on mine were the worst. And I did notice on the new ones the material was different on the front three cab mounts.

Got them from Tousley Ford, do a search with their name. Members receive a discount, top and bottom cost with shipping $376.30.

One more thing, do not spray them with WD-40 or any thing like that,
the mounts have a hex in side that keep them from spinning if you lube them they will spin in place and not come out.

Its ok to apply a little bit of heat in the end of the bolt that sticks out of the lower mounts just dont heat the mount its self. Im the past Ive had to weld nuts onto the lower mounts so I could get a wrench on them.

i find that a 18 inch alum pipe wrench works great holding the bottom flang and a 18to 24 in breaker bar up top i just removed 2 rear bm this morning klg

Now... the EASY way to change the cheap mounts !!!!!

My 2002 Sportrac started the creaking noise that a lot of people on this informative thread talked about.
The mount under the door post area was Gone for the most part. All that was left was a little red foam crap. I priced out the parts and said no way and just can't afford it period.
So infamous "Rube Goldberg" struck again to solve a few problems with changing the faulty mount.
The biggest area people seem have problems is the spinning washers when you undue each mount.
NO Problem...
No glue, welding, pipe wrench or animal parts are needed .
All you need is a 12" or less 4X4 ! Hugghhhh....
You see these parts are held in place with pressure from the bolts SO... give them some pressure.
With the vehicle up on jack stands on the side your repairing use your FLOOR jack to apply pressure to the washers . :)
stand the 4X4 length wise on the jack and apply modest pressure to the washer so it won't spin.
It took me longer to get the old Wendy's wrappers and french fries out of the way then it did to undue the bolts.
I wish I owned a air wrench .
Now as far as the mounts them selves.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results"
I don't have any MoJo with the local Ford dealer so bottom line the parts are expensive !!
Secondly the parts are faulty because they rot out over time over time.
So unknowing to my lovely wife she donated her want to be spare tire to the cause.
Hey! its a doughnut !!!
Using a saber saw I cut out three 3" washers from the center of the tread and bored out a 1" hole in the center.
I made three more slightly smaller for the bottom and bored out a 1" whole in the center of them also.
I used the metal washers as a sizing guide.
One of the larger washers I had to elongate the whole to fit the plastic center guide that was in the original mount.
I used most of the steps suggested at the beginning of this thread and I know the other side will be easier to do next weekend.
Also not all of the mounts are bad in my Sportrac the main area of rotting mount was the center mounts on both sides.
I could buy the most expensive Michlin tire cut it up to make mounts and still be ahead money wise.
Now all I have to do it make up a story for my wife to explain the missing spare tire.

** must use a donut spare .( NO metal belt )

I have not remove any on a ST but they look to be quite similar to F150 bushings which I've never heard complaints about. Might get someone at the dealership to compare the two, if you find someone who stocks them both and will take the time to please a customer.

You seem to know quite a bit about this subject, so maybe you could answer a question for me...we have a 2001 ford explorer sport trac and the body mount [bushings?] are good in the rear, but the center and front sets are decaying and falling out...we know this is an expensive endeavour but (short of purchasing a new vehicle -which we don't want to do) what would happen if they aren't replaced? or aren't replaced in a timely fashion? Some 'shade tree' mechanic that my fiance knows says he could weld them back to eliminate the problem/noise, but a more reputable mechanic suggests that we don't go that route...this is why I'm on this forum. Yeah, the noise it makes is horrific, but we've endured it for a while now because we have several vehicles so we don't drive it constantly. Bottomline...with periodic use what is the worst that could happen? Thank you so much!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You seem to know quite a bit about this subject, so maybe you could answer a question for me...we have a 2001 ford explorer sport trac and the body mount [bushings?] are good in the rear, but the center and front sets are decaying and falling out...we know this is an expensive endeavour but (short of purchasing a new vehicle -which we don't want to do) what would happen if they aren't replaced? or aren't replaced in a timely fashion? Some 'shade tree' mechanic that my fiance knows says he could weld them back to eliminate the problem/noise, but a more reputable mechanic suggests that we don't go that route...this is why I'm on this forum. Yeah, the noise it makes is horrific, but we've endured it for a while now because we have several vehicles so we don't drive it constantly. Bottomline...with periodic use what is the worst that could happen? Thank you so much!!

If not replaced you'll have one heck of a noisy truck, and you'll have increased wear on several items due to the center portion of the truck not being supported. Your tuck won't fall apart without them, but it will sound like an old clunker. Get em replaced if you can ($).

CMOS

Back