Replacing the plastic on exterior... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing the plastic on exterior...

SoontobeMrsFoss

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT Explorer
My Explorer XLT has the gray plastic trim on the exterior and I'm looking to replace it with some of the sharper looking trim, or no trim at all. Does anybody know if this is possible, and if so, some suggestions. It would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I looked into doing this on mine, as well. You can't just remove the trim, because it will leave visible holes. The replacement trim is big $$.

Bummer! I can't understand why they make it so luxury (the XLT) with leather and everything and then put plastic trim! I see other Explorers not as luxury, with the better looking trim. That's the only thing I really don't like about mine. But I guess I'll live with it. I don't want to sink a ton of money in to fix that. I'm doing a couple of different things to spice it up a little bit. Does your explorer have the chrome room rack rails? That is something I would like to add but I can't seem to find it anywhere online. I have the rack, but again, it's all of that same black plastic.

Soontobe, quite a few people with the 3rd gens have found that Krylon Fusion works extremely well to paint the plastic trim.

I'm not sure what color Ex you have, but you might want to consider doing this if the plain plastic bothers you.

I have the blue color. So what is this paint? A special type of paint for the plastic? I really like the explorers that have the eddie bauer trim- it's like a champagne/light gold/tan color. That's what I was thinking of doing.... I also like the explorers that don't have a trim but like you said, I can't just remove it because there will be holes.

Back