Replacing Thermostat housing (use plastic or metal Ebay) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing Thermostat housing (use plastic or metal Ebay)

SidCharming

Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limted
This is my second 3rd generation Ford Explorer. My first was a 2002 Eddie Bauer and this current on is 2005 XLT. I had issues with my 2002 where I had to replace the thermostat two times. I really was surprised that they keep posting the plastic one as the standard but I look on Ebay for a new one for my 2005 and I see there are metal housing units (upper and lower).
Metal
Plastic
*these are sample, not that I am looking at that specific one to buy
**I noticed they come with the sensors (not sure if that is a bargain or a cheap sensor thrown in) extra thoughts

What are the thoughts of Explorer Technicians/owners? Metal or stick with plastic?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Metal all the way

"If it's not metal, it's crap!"
-Dee Snider

Thanks, I finally got the housing changed out... I washed the engine compartment but now I am still smelling antifreeze and the serp belt squeals like it was. Which that's a reason I changed the thermostat... I noticed antifreeze on the intake manifold and thought it was splashing up on the serp belt causing the squealing.

It appears it was either not related to the squealing or a part of it... but with the housing changed and inspected a few times, there is no new antifreeze on the intake manifold.

Now I am wondering if it is the radiator or the water pump. Leaning more to radiator b/c if water pump, it would be more evident and noticeable (right?)

as for the squealing belt, it is off and on (as of the past three days it's been somewhat quiet with a hint of a squeal)

With the winter snow, I am not able to look on the ground to see if it is puddling (living at an apartment complex for the time being)

FYI: RockAuto sells the metal housings now.

RA_SKP_Metal_Outlet.PNG

Much cheaper than EBay (even after shipping) and a 12 month warranty.

Back