• Register Today It's free!

Replacing window regulator

Rahmein

Reaction score
City, State
SF BAY AREA, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4wd SOHC 4.0
I have a 97 XLT and i need to replace driver side window regulator. I've come to realize that in order to get the window regulator out I'm probably going to have to use a cutoff wheel on a die grinder or something to saw off the rivets. but my question is, once I get the old window regulator out, what do I use to hold the new window regulator in. Do I have to buy some sort of tool and use rivets again? Also, how do I uninstall the window from the regulator itself? Any help would be much appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wow, you need to cut these out?

I have not opened up the explorer for this part, but EVERY other car I have worked on has this as a removable bolted part. I dont doubt you, as I did some research and see that there is some cutting.

Are you replacing the entire window mechanism, or just the motor / gears?

If your window sort of works, but makes a thunka-thunka-thunka noise and needs help going up and down, you can probably get away just replacing some bushings - I did this last weekend on my X.

Pull off the inside panel, remove the insulation and speaker - towards the right, you'll see two holes leading to two of the three bolts that hold the motor and gear in place. The third bolt is behind a little dimple to the right of the first two - drill out that dimple to get at the third bolt.

Once all three bolts are out, the motor should come loose - unplug it, pull it out, open it up, and you'll probably find three cylindrical bushings inside the large gear have crumbled. The bushings run about eight bucks for a 3-pack at the auto parts stores; look in the Help! section.

Thanks for all the info BubbaFL, but i was actually having a completely different problem. I bought the car used recently with the window regulator half disconnected. Now, with the window regulator dangling in the door panel, the punk i bought it from decided to roll the window down.... again... again... and again. Bending and warping the regulator.

I went to a junk yard and pulled off a window regulator to replace with mine. I just drilled out the rivets holding the regulator and window (while the window was rolled up), taped off the window so it wouldn't fall, pulled out the window regulator, disconnected the motor from the regulator and mounted it onto the one i got from the junk yard. rocket22 you were right... I went my auto part store and they matched me up with nuts and bolts small enough to clear everything. So i bolted the new regulator in and WA LA.

Thanks for the feedback!

Attaching Window To Regulator?

I just ordered a new regulator for a 99 and after looking at the bent old one, which is still in the door, I am wondering how the two (Glass and Regulator) stay together. Is it just a press fit? Does it need some sort of glue/silicon? Thanks, looking to be prepared when the new regulator gets here.

on my 89 ranger, i drilled three access holes to get to the three hex-head screws holding the regulator to the window gear arm.

it all went flawlessly. i recommend a small c-clamp to hold the window up.

the regulator releases from the window gear arm without trouble and reattaches just as well. the only steady concern is to get the screws in and the regulator and gear arm fit comfortably. (provided the window is held as far up as possible!)

the regulator has TWO gear teeth.

ONE works with the window gear and the SECOND gear is inside, beneath the first.

THE SECOND GEAR could be shattered.

it is better to to take apart the regulator at the salvage yard and inspect the plastic gears. PULL the gear out. if the bottom gear (second) is broken or even if the top gear (first) is broken, be sure to completely clean out all the old grease to get all the shattered plastic.

it is a safer bet to just purchase the gear than the whole regulator. i paid $5.

Back