• Register Today It's free!

99 XLT Window Regulator

boomersmech

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99' XLT
ON my wifes 99 XLT the driver side regulator is SHOT! SO I was going to replace it. I took a look at it yesturday and it seems they use these little rivits to hold the unit to the door frame.

Im wondering does any one know how difficult it is to drill these out and what size drill bit to use?

Is it difficult to get the regulator off the window... specifically the glue.

After I replace the unit will any 2 part epoxy work to bond the window to the regulator?

Thanks Again,
Eric

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you sure there aren't rivets holding the glass rail to the regulator? Possibly even bolts. That's the way the first gen's are. It is easy drilling them out. I think a 1/4" drill bit was used. I rebuilt three of my regulators using home made bushings. That is what goes on them regulators. That is if you can hear the motor working but the window isn't going up or down. Not too bad of a job at all. It cost me about $5 to do all three windows. Parts like that are hard to find up here but in the U.S. you can buy bushing kits for the regulators for cheap. There are extensive write ups in here about this topic. Good luck.

THanks for the info.. I was going to order the bushing kit of EBay but when I looked at the regulater the metal was actually bent and after speaking with a few people they suggested just to replace the whole unit as it will most likekly never work the same again. But after seeing this nifty little site I think It answered all my questions!

Thanks guys!

The window is rivited to the regulator.

Back