Resonator rotted out again, getting 4th one | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Resonator rotted out again, getting 4th one

mikepier

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
15 XL
Anyone have issues with their resonator pipe, or exhaust system in general rotting out pre-maturely on 99 or older?
My resonator pipe rotted at the point where it meets the muffler, to a point where it was barely secured, so I had to rip it out to avoid it falling while I was driving.
So I ordered a new one from Rock Auto made by Walker, which the old one was as well. I replaced the entire exhaust system 3 years ago ( third exhaust system put on this vehicle), and I think this is way too soon for the exhaust to corrode.
I live in the Northeast, and we've had some bad winters, but still, I would have expected more life out of these exhaust parts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Paint your clamps, that is usually where the rust will start. Any high temperature paint will do.

Paint your clamps, that is usually where the rust will start. Any high temperature paint will do.

It didn't really break at the clamp, but approx 4" after the clamp where the pipe starts to bend up.

Also taking the remaining pipe out of the muffler was a PITA, but I got it out.

Check pipe alignment when installing. Sounds like, for some reason, that bend is the low point where condensation will tend to sit.

Bill

Short trips not warming up the system is usually what causes it.
That and salt on the road.

This has been a daily driver vehicle since when I bought it new in 99. Does not really take any short trips.
The factory exhaust actually lasted a good 8 years until it needed replacing, then after that I was lucky to get 3 years out of the exhaust system without any problems.

Maybe you should look at stainless steel.

Back