• Register Today It's free!

reverse indiglo guages

DaFinksta

Reaction score
City, State
h'burg, va
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
I just bought some reverse indiglo gauges (the kind that has a toggle switch to switch from blue/green). There are two wires, a red and a black that I don't know what to do with. I am assuming the black needs to be grounded and the red needed to be sautered to a constant power source. I was thinking the headlights, but I am not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I installed these on my 99 sport and yes the black is ground and the red can go to any power source preferably the headlight switch so they will turn on and off with your headlights / parking lights. Good Luck!

I've heard about the gauges burning out if you connect them to your headlight switch, I've also read somewhere not to connect them there, I remember seeing other threads on this you might want to do a search, I have connect mine to the back of the cluster where the wire harness is.

xmodster3o3 said:
I've heard about the gauges burning out if you connect them to your headlight switch, I've also read somewhere not to connect them there, I remember seeing other threads on this you might want to do a search, I have connect mine to the back of the cluster where the wire harness is.
Sorry bout that, I hooked it up that way on my 99 about 4 months ago and so far no probs, but I will look into it a little deeper on here just incase, thnx for the info, and sry again.

I hooked mine up to the headlight switch also. So far, 4 months and no problems. The only problem I have is I hid the intensity switch and my lights are a little bright at night. As for the blue and green...mine had that switch too but it does nothing. Mine are blue...period. I think that switch might be used on the indiglo guages that are adjustable...or maybe I just got cheap ones. I really like mine though, and get lots of compliments.
Ken

The problem with the lightswitch was the fact that it housed more than needed by the gauges, and thus would blow them out. I'm on about 5 months myself, I hooked it the headlight switch and they've been fine. You should be fine.

The only problem that I've had is that when I've "raced" the truck, going over a huge bump, the left gauge piece blows out. This happened to me twice, but I simply think it's a failure in the kit itself, ~2hr fix when I get the time. Just felt like rambling. ;)

Good luck.

I hooked both wires to the dimmer switch on my 96.

Almost a year with mine hooked up to the headlights. the green and blue doesnt really make a difference. On mine the "green" is a lighter blue. i also have a knob to dim them or whatever but the switch and the dimmer are hardly used.

jayhawk, is the power for the gauges via the headlight power wire?

for yours I mean

nm sorry, you said it in your post, missed that

yep just spliced into to it

do I need an oval terminal so I can screw into a ground, or can I just sauter the wire directly to a ground?

i didnt use an oval terminal or soldering. if you look near the the ebrake you should see a black hex nut. i used that ground for them.

Are they worth it?

So are these indigo lights worth the $?

jayhawk137 said:
i didnt use an oval terminal or soldering. if you look near the the ebrake you should see a black hex nut. i used that ground for them.

Private_Joker said:
So are these indigo lights worth the $?

It's entirely up to you. For $30 and about 6 hours of taking your dash apart, I think it was worth it. It's a little cheap in my eyes, but looks cool at night. I'd suggest you get the one with the dimmer so you can tone down/up the light, mine also has a blue/green toggle. As long as you got your necessary tools and time, go for it!

It only took me like 5 minutes to get my dash off because I had done it before when I installed my cd player. The guages themselves took a while bc I had to make holes for the screws. I have the ones with the dimmer switch and blue/green toggle and I love em!

Back