Reverse lights, o/d, and rear defroster short | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Reverse lights, o/d, and rear defroster short

scottnpeter

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Part, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Eddie Bauer
Ok so I keep blowing the same fuse for my reverse lights, o/d, and rear defroster. I believe that its either every time I go in reverse or start/turn off the car the fuse is blown. I am completely lost about what the problem might be. I think that its most likely a short somewhere but I have no clue where. All help and suggestions would be great.

2000 ford explorer eddie bower edition 5.0 V8

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it's every time you go into reverse, it's probably something to do with the reverse lights, but we can't really tell without testing.

If you're not turning on the defroster and the Relays are good than we can probably Rule out the rear Defroster. That leaves us with the reverse lights and whatever is involved with OD.

Ok so I keep blowing the same fuse for my reverse lights, o/d, and rear defroster. I believe that its either every time I go in reverse or start/turn off the car the fuse is blown. I am completely lost about what the problem might be. I think that its most likely a short somewhere but I have no clue where. All help and suggestions would be great.

2000 ford explorer eddie bower edition 5.0 V8
I am having the same problem at this very moment. I have a 2000 Explorer XLT. Changed the fuse, all worked well on test run. Next time I started the car, fuse was blown. I suspect there may be some water intrusion in my left rear taillight assembly, and the reverse light plug was a little wet. But, I've had water in the lights before and they've worked fine.

I'm interested if you track down your problem.

Fuse 27 often blows when moving the shift lever because of a broken wire leading to the TCS (O/D Cancel switch).

Check this thread:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245746

In this case, it was for a Ranger but the steering column and its problem are exactly the same for a 2nd Generation Explorer like yours.

...you should check the two wires to the TCS on the shifter stalk. At higher miles, the wires may chafe and/or break on the top of the steering column where they make a right angle bend coming out of the hollow shifter. This can cause a momentary short to ground when moving the lever. Access for inspection by removing the upper column trim.

Bob -

Thanks for the quick response. I hadn't seen the other post yet. I'll check it out. Appreciate the advice.

Love this forum

New to site!

Great info, Got my self a nice 1999 eddy explorer. O/D off light does not work, Back up lights do not work, Rear defroster light on the switch does not work. Fuse number 27 in my manual reads DRL,Back up lamps switch, DTR sensor, eletric shift.

I now can make sence of it, Thanks a million. Love the search feature!!!

Back