Reverse wire location on '96 Ranger? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Reverse wire location on '96 Ranger?

nfazer

Reaction score
City, State
Upper Michigan, USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Ranger 4.0L V6
I'm going to be putting in an auto dimming mirror with my OHC mod this week, and part of that is tapping into the reverse wire. Where is it under the dash and what color is it on my '96 Ranger XLT? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Black w/pink stripe. It is in the large bundle of wires that comes through the firewall near the e-brake pedal.

Thank you very much, sir! Now I just have to make sure that the wires listed in the how to match the colors on my headlight switch.

Keep in mind that I have never installed the autodim/autolamps mirror in a 96 Ranger, so I have no first hand experience. Looking at the schematics, there is only one significant difference that I see. In 1996, Ford had two different color codes for the parking/running lights depending on whether the truck had the "Anti-theft" option or not. Those color codes were either brown or white/black. In that how-to that was written for the later trucks, the color code is shown as brown. Make that small adjustment and it looks like the how-to should work as written for the 96.

Thanks for the input, it helps alot!

After getting everything all set up, the "dimmer" wire (actually called illumination for my truck) that the how-to's for the OHC mod call to tap in to, is not a dimmer apparently, on my Ranger. What color would the dimmer wire be that goes to the air/climate controls? I figure that would be easiest to tap in to, as it's right below the radio, where my existing wire goes for the overhead dimmer.

Is this for the overhead console or the autodimming mirror?

Sorry for the confusion. This is for the overhead console itself.

The dimmable illumination wire at the HVAC controls in your 96 Ranger is red/black. Depending on the year of the console donor, it will be either red/black or light blue/red at the console.

Back