• Register Today It's free!

Rewired rear wiper switch?

Shotokan1509

Reaction score
City, State
NY is school, CT is home
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Ranger ext cab 4x4 4.0
I have a 95 Ranger and was looking at adding the explorer bezel that is around the radio. I would reuse the fog switch for my fogs, and would use the defrost button for either backup lights or front driving lights that I will be adding. My question is have any of you used the rear wiper knob/button for any use other than stock? Would it be possible to wire it to use as something like a light switch?

I easily could just throw aftermarket switches on my dash but I found a bezel with switches for cheap and figured it would look a bit cleaner that way.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I no longer needed my rear wiper and used the hole for a switch I needed.

Switch.jpg

I don't see why not... however, not all of the connections would work properly. Terminal 4 is power in.
Terminal 1 would work when you push the switch in (like wash).
Terminals 2 and 5 would be kind of weird.... because the switch uses a resistor to vary the input voltage to the GEM, only on high would you get full power to whichever accessory you were powering. The other two positions would provide a lot less power.

Additionally, because of the current rating on the switch, it probably wouldn't be good for much other than triggering a relay, although it should work well for that. If you could hack open the switch and bypass the relay or divorce it, you could have a two-stage auxiliary lighting switch that could burst all of them at the same time with a push....

It's definately got some possibilities. It could be a fun project. Just need to figure out what you'd want to run off it.

-Joe

Joe, just because you seem to know a bunch more about that circuit than me, what chance might I have of swapping the two wiper controls circuits? I'd like to have the dash control operate my windshield wipers, and vice versa for the other switch. I drive from the right seat at work, it is hell to work windshield wipers with one hand. Regards,

Rural mail delivery, huh?

Eeegads.... I don't know about that one.... I'll have to take a closer look at it, but I don't think it'll be easy....

-Joe

Yes Joe, using the 99 dash in my 93 made that a wish list item. I'll leave it stock until I get the truck up and running. Regards,

I wonder what it would take to convert the truck to a right hand drive? I know they made them for a while for export....

Looked at the schematics a little closer.... because of the way the windshield control is wired up, you'd lose the interval ability if you tried to control it with the rear window switch. The resistances are very different, not to mention the fact that the rear control only has three positions to choose from. You could still wire it up so that when you punched it, they would come on for a swipe or two, but then you'd still be wired up backwards when you were driving it from the *normal* side....

If it was something I wanted to do, I'd dissect a multifunction switch from a salvage yard, chop it down and mount it somehow/somewhere convenient, then wire it up in parallel with the existing switch. That way, the front controls *should* would work like normal. I don't think it would be too hard to do, and most of the wiring should be readily accessible near the bottom of the steering column somewhere.

That's my best idea for ya'. :)

Thanks Joe, it's a project for later.

CDW6212R said:
Thanks Joe, it's a project for later.

No prob-lem-o. I don't think it would be a very difficult project. On a scale of 1-10, I think that the stalk modification and mounting would be about a 4, but the wiring would be about a 2.... great rainy-day project for you. I'd be happy to help as I love taking stuff apart to see what makes it tick LOL!

-Joe

I had originally looked into mounting a 1998 model Sable turn signal lever into an overhead console in my 95 Crown Vic. It couldn't work because the two control systems were different. One had a special controller, while the other was a typical direct control system.

I was hoping that these two wipers in the same vehicle would have close enough controls to make it feasible. Later,

Back