Rim clear coat corroding | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rim clear coat corroding

My 20 inch rims on my 2013 Explorer are corroding under the clearcoat. I took off the wheel and found Ford did not clearcoat the inside of the rim. Now I have these little (trees) of corrosion coming from the inside to the outside spokes. I'm seeing a Ford dealer next week but expect a stone wall. Anyone else with this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 20 inch rims on my 2013 Explorer are corroding under the clearcoat. I took off the wheel and found Ford did not clearcoat the inside of the rim. Now I have these little (trees) of corrosion coming from the inside to the outside spokes. I'm seeing a Ford dealer next week but expect a stone wall. Anyone else with this problem?

Hi GETD,

I have exactly the same problem in my 2013 Explorer. Car is still convered by brand new warranty but not sure that's going to help. Please let me know what you have found out. I'm based in Miami.

rim corrosion

I took the Explorer to the dealer 2 weeks ago . He took a lot of pictures. No word from Ford yet. I can predict one thing on these rims. The same corrosion is going to get under the tire beads and start leaking. I will post Fords reply. Good to know I am not alone.

I am going to the dealer about this tomorrow. I'll let you know what I find out.

Went to the Ford Dealer, They gave me approval in 30 minutes. The rims were swapped for brand new rims a couple of days later.

The whole process was painless and professional. Ford deserves praise for the way they handled this. I must re-iterate the vehicle was still under warranty.

Are you related to Henry Ford

Ford is giving me a big run around. They now want me to make another appointment. They want to take the wheels off of the Explorer and clean them and take new pictures. I will let you know if I'm still a Ford guy in a few weeks.

I know others have the same issue also. If the dealer doesn't want to replace them for free, the best thing you can do is to remove the cearcoat and polish your wheels.

I just purchased my 2013 X Limited and also have corrision. But i have the Allstate 3 year Warranty. Do u think my wheels would be covered with that warranty? Thanks Steve.

I just purchased my 2013 X Limited and also have corrision. But i have the Allstate 3 year Warranty. Do u think my wheels would be covered with that warranty? Thanks Steve.

My best guess would that it would depend on the warranty...If this is a bumper to bumper warranty then technically it should...but they might claim pre-existing damage depending on when the warranty was issued (given that it's not a Ford warranty)

My best guess would that it would depend on the warranty...If this is a bumper to bumper warranty then technically it should...but they might claim pre-existing damage depending on when the warranty was issued (given that it's not a Ford warranty)

Yea i hear you. I purchased it used 2 months ago from Ford and i got the 3 year Bumper to Bumper warrnty which comes from AllState. I will drive down and ask them next week. Will keep u up to date

Corrosion

Yea i hear you. I purchased it used 2 months ago from Ford and i got the 3 year Bumper to Bumper warrnty which comes from AllState. I will drive down and ask them next week. Will keep u up to date

Ford replaced my corroded wheels, changed and balanced the tires for free under the factory warranty. The new wheels are clearcoated on the inside. That was the original problem. You still have the factory warranty for 3 years.

Ford replaced my corroded wheels, changed and balanced the tires for free under the factory warranty. The new wheels are clearcoated on the inside. That was the original problem. You still have the factory warranty for 3 years.

Even through i am the 2nd owner i still have a factory 3 year warranty?

Back